Enrichment & enclosures for a beginner

soph.h

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi all,

I have a small Tunisian spur-thigh tort. Looking at upgrading his enclosure from the one he came to me in as although it does the job, it isn't quite big enough and I worry Colin gets bored. Especially as I am out at school in the day so he is home alone. He's currently on straw pellets which I was given by his previous owner but I have ordered some orchid bark that I will swap out for as soon as it arrives as I don't particularly like the pellets and after reading up on them I figured something else would be much more suitable.
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what else I can put in his enclosure that will make him feel more comfortable. He has some rocks and a bridge, as well as his slate and water dish but I have noticed him pacing around. The enclosure he has is definitely too small as he is very active and I intend to upgrade that as soon as possible. I am a young teenager and finances are on me so I need to save up some money before I can get a bigger table- it is on my list though!

Would appreciate any tips on enclosures in general, as well as ways to provide mental stimulation!

Many thanks,
Sophie

soph.h

England
Need pics of the enclosure and the tort.
4DAB19BF-0DE3-4F03-A635-F35E4F80298B.jpeg
It's the vivexotic tank, but I've removed the shelter as he sleeps under the bridge anyway so it gives him more space to move around
He's also on the orchid bark now!

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Washington
I am not familiar with your tortoise species but I think adding plants to your enclosure would be a good idea. You need to be careful about what you use but there are many good options out there. Keeping the plants in a pot that you sink into the substrate works well.

soph.h

England
I am not familiar with your tortoise species but I think adding plants to your enclosure would be a good idea. You need to be careful about what you use but there are many good options out there. Keeping the plants in a pot that you sink into the substrate works well.
That's a great idea, thank you! Would you suggest live plants of artificial? I'd worry about him eating something he wasn't supposed to but I'm sure there are benefits to live plants as well..

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Washington
I have both. With a live plant you want to check on The Tortoise Table for non-toxic varieties. I have a pothos plant in my enclosure. It is easy to care for. Many have concerns about live plants that may have been treated with pesticides. Sometimes you get the plant, repot it and grow it out for several months. If you use a fake plant, drape it across something so that it provides cover but isn’t actually accessible for the tort to chew on. There are a lot of threads on here about enclosure plants

soph.h

England
I have both. With a live plant you want to check on The Tortoise Table for non-toxic varieties. I have a pothos plant in my enclosure. It is easy to care for. Many have concerns about live plants that may have been treated with pesticides. Sometimes you get the plant, repot it and grow it out for several months. If you use a fake plant, drape it across something so that it provides cover but isn’t actually accessible for the tort to chew on. There are a lot of threads on here about enclosure plants
That's brilliant- thank you!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Adding plants is a good suggestion but the enclosure is way too small. He needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot bigger is better specially when adding plants. If you can't go bigger length and width wise then build a second level with a ramp to it

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I use artificial plants sold I aquarium fish shops and their rocks. I would switch water dish to flat terracotta plant base for fresh food ood and a similar plastic one for water and if your tort is small add pebbles around edge to help access in and out.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
When you have a bigger table and plants etc you could out food in different areas. They are grazing animals who move about looking for food so it should keep him busy.

soph.h

England
Adding plants is a good suggestion but the enclosure is way too small. He needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot bigger is better specially when adding plants. If you can't go bigger length and width wise then build a second level with a ramp to it
Yes I agree the enclosure is small.. aiming to upgrade after Christmas!!