Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael13

5 Year Member
How big

So I might get a russian tortoise and does anyone know we're to buy a good enclosure and a pretty cheap one?? Also I couldn't build one because Im terrible with wood.

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
RE: How big

Are you getting a hatchling or an adult? For a hatchling, you can use a large plastic storage bin from the hardware store. Get the biggest one you can find. Usually around $15-20.

For and adult you'll have to build one, but its easy. Get a 4x8' sheet of plywood. Put some 2x12" boards around the edges, and you are good to go. Cap the corners for extra credit. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Good ideas.
If you are going to get a tortoise, you have to put in some work on the enclosure. They need to be outside, at least part of the year.
You may not be able to build, but you should be able to trench and stack. Dig an 8-12" trench and use cinder blocks as the walls. One row of blocks in the trench, then two more blocks high, alternate them (they make double and single cinder blocks for this reason).
Make it as big a rectangle or 'L' shaped enclosure that you can manage.
Kind of like working with legos. ;)

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
You can get a cement mixing container at Home Depot. A lot of people use those to start off with and then upgrade but I heard they are pretty cheap. Or a storage bin. They have some that aren't huge and not so deep

Status
Not open for further replies.