Enclosure project - help please!

John84

im planing on building a 3ft x 7ft encloser to keep my sulcata in the garage once it's big enough. Will an enclosure this size adequate until it's time to have it go outside? Also, can I use liquid nail to bond the wood together instead of nails or screws? Any ideas on how to build it? I like how tom posted pix of his night enclosure. Does anyone have anything like that for an indoor inclosure?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How large is your Sulcata?
Why do you not want to use nails or screws?
A lot of folks use an already made item as an enclosure. start looking at items you can re purpose. For example, Some folks use an old book case with no shelves, laid on its back. ...

John84

It's small right now. It's about the size of an irregular shapes tennis ball.

I'd like to use liquid nail or some type of bond in addition to small nails becuse I don't want to build a fram le for it if not needed. If I ise the old bookcase what would I cover it with?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I prefer to drill and screw my sides together. The corners will always be your stress areas because the tortoises like to push and climb on the corners.

One other reason is that the screw has a better holding power and its easier to disassemble if you need to expand or repurpose the lumber.

The liquid nail will work but I would add screws for strength.

To cover the old bookcase, either a heavy plastic or a waterproof coating will work. I've also use vinyl floor covering; glue it to the sides and bottom.

Good luck.