Enclosure--new but needs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
(Skipped through most the thread, so bare with me if I'm a bit too behind on this reply.)

Concerning the under tank heater--it is a BAD idea unless you have a thermostat or rheostat to hook it to. Reptile heat pads (like the Zoomed Reptitherms) get far too hot to be safe... I've measured them reaching 140*F. A thermostat or a rheostat will control the heat output of the heat mat so it doesn't get too hot.

On the same note, if you can get a heat pad specifically designed not to get very hot (the seedling tray heat pads like Yvonne mentioned earlier) or a thermostat/rheostat to control that one, I don't see where having very light underbelly heating (as in low to mid 80s) would be a bad idea.. It would warm up the substrate a bit and encourage evaporation, and therefore humidity. Good things for your little sullie.

As for it melting the plastic... Plastic has a very high melting temperature. If the heat pad is nearly high enough to melt the plastic, it's definitely more than hot enough to kill your tortoise. If it's cool enough to be safe for your tortoise, it's cool enough that it's not going to melt the enclosure.

By the way, a rheostat is basically a lamp dimmer. The downfall of rheostats compared to thermostats is that rheostats just limit how much electricity gets to the unit, where a thermostat actually turns the unit on/off according to the temperature at the probe. As long as the room temperatures don't fluctuate a great deal, a rheostat would be fine for your usage. Just don't forget to always have a DIGITAL thermometer around to measure temperatures. It should be buried deep in the substrate, so you know just how hot your little tortie is able to get if he decides to dig deep.

Hope this is helpful to you. :)

(after reading through the thread)
Another thought that occurred to me. How are you measuring his temperatures? Do you have digital thermometers at the substrate (bedding) level to measure the temperatures, or is it something like the little dial thermometers?

Dial thermometers are incredibly inaccurate. Digital thermometers will give you an accurate reading wherever you put the probe (or, in some cases, the unit). You should have one digital thermometer with the probe sitting directly under the heat lamp, and another on the cool side. You can get an indoor/outdoor thermometer from Walmart or the like for this. These usually consist of a unit and a probe, where the "outdoor" temperature is measured at the probe (this would be at your basking site), and the "indoor" temperature is measured at the main unit (which you would just set on the cool side).

Also, your enclosure looks a little too small for something as high wattage as 160 watts. You need enough room that the tortoise has its 100F+ basking spot, but that the cool side is still only in the 80s... a 20 degree drop across the enclosure, which can be impossible to accomplish in a small space. Once you've been able to get good readings with good digital thermometers both under the basking light and on the cool side, you should be able to figure out whether you need something bigger or not. :)

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Hello again!

Thank you all very much. Taylor: I took back the heating pad and got an MVB instead. I am using the dial thermometers they sell at petsmart, but it makes sense that these would unreliable. Right now it is still saying that my colder side is 80 and the warmer side is getting warmer: 95 now. I also have a humidifier. I don't trust the dials now that you say that.

So at night, would it be best for me to have the moonbulb on and an infrared? Would that be hot enough or do I ALSO have to invest in a CHE?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Definitely head to the store and invest in a good digital thermometer. Again, an indoor/outdoor thermometer from Walmart or a similar store will work just as well as buying two thermometers from a pet store. The dial thermometers can be as much as 20 degrees off... Definitely not a good tool.

I see now, in the pictures, that you have them up at the top of the enclosure? This doesn't tell you anything about the inside of the enclosure, anyway. The tortoise is on the ground, not at the top of the enclosure. Until you can get a digital thermometer(s) to replace the dials, moving the dials to the floor of the enclosure will at least give you a better idea of what's going on. Again, one should be directly under the heat lamp, and one should be on the cool side.

As for heating at night, the thing that makes CHEs better than black and red lightbulbs is they don't emit any light at all. The two bulbs you have should work fine for heating. From what I understand (someone correct me if I'm wrong), you only need to get the temps above 80 at night.

Something that just occurred to me... How do you have the MVB set up? It should be mounted so that the bulb faces straight down. Having it at an angle will damage the bulb and shorten its lifespan. Here's a picture of what I mean... The MVB (left) is pointed straight down, hanging from a lamp stand to accomplish this. The one on the right is a regular light bulb, set at an angle the likes of which would cause serious damage to an MVB.
PA060542.jpg

There are a couple ways this arrangement can be accomplished without having to buy a lamp stand. One method that I had to use in the past just involved straightening out a wire hanger (except the hook) and wrapping the straight end around a ceiling hook. The lamp hung from the hook end, just above the enclosure. I have a picture of that arrangement if you want or need it, just let me know.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Taylor--

Thanks a bunch. I DID have the MVB at an angle. Can I leave it like that for 2 days until I can get a better set up? My lamp is incorrect for this set up, too. I would love a picture of your hanger method, if you would please!

I will invest in a digital thermometer, too. I wonder if they sell them at Home Depot as well?

So you think the infrared and moon lamp are good enough for nighttime?

Thank you so much!

Why do you also have a "regular bulb," and what it is?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I'm not sure how long is really safe to have it at that angle, but the less time the better. Here's that picture...
P9040466.jpg

As for my "regular bulb," it's just an incandescent light bulb like you would use in lamps and such around the house. The incandescent light bulbs put off heat. I have it on my bearded dragon enclosure in addition to the MVB because the MVB alone doesn't get the warm side and basking spot quite warm enough during the day. In the picture above, there's a CHE in that lamp (as you can see, it doesn't let off ANY light at all) because the nighttime temperatures at the time were too cold for the beardie, too.

Home Depot probably sells the thermometers.... They have them on their website, anyway (http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...&storeId=10051&dimSearch=true&catalogId=10053). Something like the first one on that list (the $15 Acu-Rite) would be perfect... It even monitors humidity for you.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Great, Taylor--I appreciate this so much. It shouldn't be difficult to make that hanger like that. Thank you a million times over. I wonder if i also need the incandescent.

CHeers!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I'm glad I could be of help! As for the incandescent--you probably won't need it with a small enclosure and a 160 watt MVB. Each set up is unique. In mine, for a variety of reasons, the 100 watt MVB doesn't get my bearded dragons' basking spot, some 18-20 inches below, above 95F. They need a basking temperature between 100 and 110. So I use the extra bulb to boost the basking spot into more appropriate temperatures, without having to lower the fixture close enough to risk the beardies being able to reach it and get burned.

The hanger was, indeed, very easy to make. Just a matter of screwing the ceiling hook in (make sure it's sturdy!! I had to find a stud to screw mine into; otherwise it kept falling out) and destroying an old wire hanger. :)

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Gotcha. Well, I think because I don't have the digital thermometer yet (gonna go to home depot after work!) I will have to wait to see what that reads before figuring out what other bulbs to get, obviously. The mercury bulb makes me really nervous because it is so powerful, but obviously he was far too cold, hence not eating. At night, I just had the infrared and moon lamp and the temps got down to 70 cool, 80 warm. I hope that's warm enough? If not, i see that I need to invest in a CHE.

My friend who keeps snakes really scared me about the MVB by saying they could explode...160 watt was all I could find in town, so I hope that's not too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.