Charli's new set up and HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Hello!

I rigged Charli up with new digs! Double the size of his last apartment. I think he's becoming a lot happier. He loves the heat rock--something he didn't have before. And he loves walking on top of his plants...guess he doesn't want to eat those yet...doh!

So, I also made this tortoise shelf out of wood...I'm not sure if I should coat it with anything? What would be safe? Also, what should be at the top of the shelf? And should I maybe add a lip so he doesn't try to jump off? He seems to be pretty good with realizing that he will fall when he comes to the ledge of anything...but I do wonder.

Also, I noticed that the fogger at petsmart looked just like this little personal humidifier at walgreens...it's already increased the humidity from 16-50 percent. Anyone see any problem with using it? It runs for a few hours and I never leave it on if I'm not home. Had a big hot-air humidifier for the whole room and it didn't seem to be doing anything for his habitat.

Thanks so much for looking and any advice you have for me!

Attachments

• charlisetup.jpg
    charlisetup.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 62
  • setup2.jpg
    setup2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 35
  • setup3.jpg
    setup3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 29
  • setup4.jpg
    setup4.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 40
  • setup5.jpg
    setup5.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 25
  • setup6.jpg
    setup6.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 27
  • setup7.jpg
    setup7.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 29
  • setup8.jpg
    setup8.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 27

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
That looks good! you can coat the wood shelf with a water based spar urethane. For a small area, removing it and using a spray can version would work. Just let it air out for several days before replacing (until odor gone).
Will leave the other answers to the experts.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Thanks Leannedit! I haven't added the shelf yet, so I will definitely coat it first!

CrTortoise: Thanks! I have a 120Watt Dayglo bulb and a ceramic head emitter. Then on the long lamp, I have a 10.0 UVB bulb and have both an infrared and a moonbulb for the night time...have been alternating between the two because I don't know which is better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Some tortoises are not good with depth perception and might just walk right off the edge of the "cliff." So a railing would be a good idea. Adding a second story goes a long way towards increasing the "footprint" of a habitat. And some tortoises really appreciate being able to climb and do different things. I think he's going to like it.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Thank you so much Yvonne and also Aldabraman!! I'm so happy to have your approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.