Enclosure build

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Since my leopard has moved out to the yard full-time I wanted to modify his closed chamber into something else. The bottom half was a bookcase which I now took apart. This used to be the top half (I just put the original plywood flooring on the bottom. Had to cut it down to size a little to accomodate the change.):

Painted it black to match our bookshelves at home and to make the wifey stop complaining about its looks lol!

Made a stand- I used to have it on those wooden saw horses so this is a nice upgrade. In there is a failed attempt to make a rock wall. I discarded that one after hours of working on it.

Testing out the lighting. I used shop lights about 4'. That rectangular thing on top is where the heat lamps (uvb, ceramic heater) will go. I wanted it to not be visible to make it look nicer. The front of that thing can be taken off for easy adjustment of the lamps' height. I'll try to take more photos of it soon.

One of a few rock wall builds:

Rock walls in place and painted with some detail using non-toxic acrylic paint and sealed. I used vinyl for the flooring and put some of the silk plants and stuff from the previous enclosure and branches to make it look realistic.

Another view:

I plan to use soil or orchid bark for substrate like before. No heat lamps in there yet as I haven't finished the whole thing yet but I'm getting there.
I want sliding glass doors for easy cleaning but dunno how to go about it yet or I can have glass in place and just access from the top.
I am considering to house my leopard in here during winter or just house something else in there. Definitely not my russian who is used to living outdoors year round. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

haylee345

Location (City and/or State)
Durham, North Carolina
This Vinyl is pretty awesome. Thick and crystal clear. I've had a hard time gluing it, tried pasticweld and superglue, barely holds. I have wood on the lower half of my wall, then vinyl sticks with magnets so I can easily reach in or remove it if needed. The wood half is on hinges so it folds down flat and level with the floor to make cleaning easier.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042TN0XY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Thanks guys! Here are more updated pics.
Here it is with the front of the lamp cover removed for easy access. I put a hanging branch in there. A weird idea but looks pretty neat I think.
A closer look:

Final rock wall in place. I made some errors in measurements with previous designs and wasted a lotta time so I destroyed those in a fit of rage! LOL!

Hide is about 18" x 18" with weather stripping at the entrance and a che lamp nearby. Haven't connected the che yet.

And finally a look og the whole enclosure:

Also put an additional lip to the thing holding the fluorescent fixture so it doesn't show.
It's nearly complete. Just need to put the substrate and sliding glass front which I'm still figuring out how to do.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Haha thank you for the compliment! I like to think I have a knack for designing but the actual building is pretty imperfect as far as measurements and the whole building process as I have poor carpentry skills and even less patience. I like making it up as I go along so no real planning. That's why I had to commision someone else to make an outdoor heated night box.
Here is an indoor aviary for finches I built a while back. I like making these things naturalistic in some way.