How to build a circular outdoor enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
I may be rescuing a russian tortoise in a few days and am contemplating outdoor enclosure possibilities.

1. I have one of those circular driveways in the country that has a huge cement circle where a water feature used to be. It is not there anymore. Since I am not digging all the dirt out of the thing, it is possible to build a wall around the top of it? What would I use since wood doesnt quite bend that way? (knowing that I rent so cant damage it and cant look too ugly)
Also this is in the full sun light. Is that ok or would it get too hot? I am in California. This week is close to 100f.

2. I can make a enclosure following the curved "would be" garden bed against the house. Mostly all shade. Still have the problem with the curving.

Any suggestions? I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars if I can help it. I will have it sleep inside I expect.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: How to big a cicular outdoor enclosure?

Hi Lin...and welcome to the Forum!

Can you take some pictures of the areas you're thinking about building the enclosure in?

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
Re: How to big a cicular outdoor enclosure?

First, I would check with your landlord to make sure that he didn't mind you messing with the dirt patch in your driveway. Second I would ask him if he would reimburse you if you turn that dirt patch into a beautiful "flower" bed. That way if you did end up spending a lot of money on it you might be able to get reimbursed for some of your expenses. Next I would look at ideas for raised flower beds using concrete block or something of the sort. Then you could plant a small bush or tree in the center of the circle and design the rest like a fancy flower bed with decorative grasses and other tortoise safe plants.

Sent from my MB865 using TortForum mobile app

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
How to big a cicular outdoor enclosure?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376750851.480278.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376750873.441415.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376750887.454904.jpg

We only moved in a couple months ago so still have a bunch of junk laying around. The smallest area may work if it is big enough. ImageUploadedByTortForum1376751033.809734.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Oh wow! I see so much potential in that circle. If it were me, I'd dig out lots of the dirt so the walls are about 8 to 10" tall. Then you can add some plants and maybe a small tree in the center, then add some substrate-type material all over the whole interior. This is a great space for a Russian tortoise. It looks like a habitat just waiting to happen!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

You can simply circle the area with either slumpstone block or cinder block. Go two or three blocks high. I would build up both areas and use the sunny one for cooler days and the shady one for hotter days. You will definitely need to plant some large shade bushes in that sunny enclosure and it might help to dig a hole and bury a little underground shelter to escape the heat of the day. You will need to monitor your temps closely and make adjustments as needed.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You could build a square pen inside the circular area, and landscape the remaining four areas. You would lose square footage, but landlord wouldn't mind, and it would still be plenty big for your Russian.

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
So, I think the circular area is the ticket and will pretty it up since right now it is pretty ugly. I think I want to use the log rolls as a perimiter but (at least online) Lowes, home depot and orchard don't seem to have them.
Here is a link to a company in UK
http://www.timberfencinggates.ie/garden/planters.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You really don't need any perimeter fencing if you just dig out about a foot of the dirt. You've already got a very nice perimeter fence in the existing cement circle.

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
ascott said:
Does the circle have drainage, in the event of a passing thunderstorm or such?

I don't know if it has drainage but it used to be a fountian feature I think so I would assume it has to have something like that. In any case, hopefully it will be ok. We are in california and rarely have unexpected rain and not a ton of it anyway. I don't forsee it filling up enough to drown a tortoise before I am able to bring it inside. If this is a problem, is there a way for me to make drainage?
I have already started to dig and the dirt is actually pretty soft, so aside from a lot of work, it shouldnt be too hard.
How do I know what plants are safe to plant? If I plant flowers will they become lunch?

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
earlier today i saw scalloped edge cement blocks forming a circle around a tree, hope you understand my description! anyway you could set those on top of the current circle and maybe mortar them together? that or the landscape stones that allow you to make curves and circlular patterns? all the other ideas are great also, just putting my two cents worth it!!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I with Yvonne , dig some dirt out and make it really pretty with lots of plants and grass, and maybe like a little pond in there like a tiny one

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm with Yvonne on this too. Why buy stuff to build something ,when you have everything you need for free . Get a shovel and get to work . Spend all the money an plants .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Linz2491 said:
So, I think the circular area is the ticket and will pretty it up since right now it is pretty ugly. I think I want to use the log rolls as a perimiter but (at least online) Lowes, home depot and orchard don't seem to have them.
Here is a link to a company in UK
http://www.timberfencinggates.ie/garden/planters.html

I was going to say that I think the log roll idea will look great, but then I saw Yvonne's post right after yours. That's an even better idea.

Maybe you could use both ideas. Dig it out half way, and still use the log rolls. I like to put hills in enclosures, so that when the tortoises are on the hills in the middle of the enclosure, they are above the wall and able to survey the land. Yet when they are near the wall, its plenty tall to hold them in. You could mound up the dirt you dig out and build up the middle. Then plant grass or Testudo Mix seed in there to hold the dirt in place and give your tortoise some shade, cover and grazing.

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
Agreed with all on removing dirt, however if you want the log rolls for the looks then I have seen them at Home Depot in NorCal recently as I was also looking for something. I opted for the fencing for cost purposes. ImageUploadedByTortForum1376801249.386890.jpg

Check us out on Facebook
www.facebook.com/mrturtle527

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If you decide on the idea to remove a foot of dirt, remember, that you have no idea what is under the surface. These type of areas are rarely just filled with nice top soil. There may be construction debris, rocks, gravel, lumber, etc... with 6" of dirt on top. The inside of the wall might not be finished nicely at all. There may be water pipes buried in there. How big is that circle? From the pic, I'm getting about 12 - 14'd, and the wall looks about 20" tall (on the outside) Sure might make a nice pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.