Egg Shell: Powder Supplement

tortoiseplanet

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Recently I’ve been supplementing my tortoises with egg shell powder, that’s been boiled, dried, then grinned. Is this good, and should it be continued? Any cons? Does this compare to store supplements (calcium, calcium with D3)?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, yes, many people do this of course with no I’ll effects. When our Sully was way smaller, I used to take half an egg shell and fill it with two or three moistened Mazuri pellets. He’d find the treat and gobble it up.

@Grandpa Turtle 144 Says he’s been doing this for many years....
  • Not sure how this compares with store bought Calcium supplements.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
Thanks for the info.
Still curious of how it relates/doesn’t relate to store bought calcium. Like the regular calcium or calcium with D3. Do egg shells have D3?

DigBeatz

Los Angeles
I’m just writing in here because i’ve decided to go the same route with our new Red Foot and I had the same question.

I also do the same process where i boil them and let them dry and then grind them. But do you also remove that film inside the shell? It’s annoying to get off but i’m afraid of bacteria as well. Any thoughts on that?

It would be much easier if that film didn’t have to be removed.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
What chemicals are in store bought Calcium ? But there is No chemicals not even Vitamin D3 ! IMG_2309.jpg

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Grandpa Turtle! Yea i’ve read your post about this in several threads, but my question was regarding the film inside the eggshell.

It don’t bother my torts in 18 years . So I don’t do anything with it . If its protein so is the bugs that may be on a plant or two when the tort eats wild plants .

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
The the calcium in the shells of chicken' eggs are in a form that is not easily available, either as a food supplement, or as a soil amendment. It is mostly calcite, which is crystalline, and not easily digestible.
It would be better to buy a calcium supplement made specifically for reptiles, and use that. Be careful to select the right type of calcium with the correct form of Vitamin D for indoor or outdoor caged animals.
A better soil amendment would be ground oyster shells, or if that is not available, plain agricultural lime (over dolomite limestone).
Interestingly, many tortoise species have been recorded eating or gnawing on bones, snail shells, and empty eggshells in their natural habitats.
Snail shells, and oyster shells are a far better source of calcium for living animals and for a soil amendment.

DigBeatz

Los Angeles
Hey everyone! [emoji3]

I’m still just using pulverized egg shells for calcium. I dip a strawberry in it and and Quaid just munches it right up. I give him that twice a week.

A few questions tho:

How long have you kept your egg shell powder before it goes bad?

Is a strawberry powdered with the egg twice a week the right amount?

Another thought i had and wondered was would these creatures munch on the bones of a carcass that was in the wild?

Thank you!