Calcium Powder Supplement

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjr153

5 Year Member
How often should I sprinkle the Calcium Power on the food? It is the Flukers calcium powder with vitamin D3. My baby hasn't been outside since eh, around September. So has not had natural sunlight besides what comes through the window. I have been sprinkling the powder on the food every Tuesday, but is that enough?

Spn785

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
Sunlight through a window has no UVB, do you have a UVB light? About three times a week I'd use the calcium powder.

kjr153

5 Year Member
I have a Powersun. It gives off UVB and UVA.

Spn785 said:
Sunlight through a window has no UVB, do you have a UVB light? About three times a week I'd use the calcium powder.

If I have the light sitting on a screen, do the UV rays go through the screen?

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
It depends on the screen. On Average I think they block 50% of the UVB, or at least that is what I've been told and what it says on my Reptisun UV Tube packaging.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species and age of tortoise are we talking about and what is your typical diet?

kjr153

5 Year Member
Sulcata, ~1.5yrs old. Diet is Spring mix and grass that I grow
Tom said:
What species and age of tortoise are we talking about and what is your typical diet?

Can't wait until the poor baby can get outside and soak up the sun.

Spn785 said:
It depends on the screen. On Average I think they block 50% of the UVB, or at least that is what I've been told and what it says on my Reptisun UV Tube packaging.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Honestly, I would buy some TNT (Total Nutrition for Tortoises) and sprinkle that on the food, because Baby Spring mix and grass is not enough of a variety, and I believe the TNT has plenty of calcium. If you remove the scree from beneath the UVB light (Powersun you said), then you shouldn't need the D3

Status
Not open for further replies.