supplementing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
I use a calcium vitamin d3 powder supplement. I was wondering how often I should use it. I've been using it everyday but I've just recently been reading that can lead to problems. Is that true? How often should I use supplement?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is not an easy one to answer. Some people use none at all and have very healthy tortoises. Others use it everyday and their animals seem healthy too. No one really knows the correct answer. We are making an educated guess at best. It is somewhat dependent upon your situation. Growing babies probably need more frequent supplementation, but much smaller amounts. Adult males who get regular sunshine and a good diet probably need very little, if any. Adult females probably should get a little extra before, during and after egg production time. If you are feeding a good, varied diet and getting regular sunshine and exercise, you really should need very little in the way of supplementation. I use a little bit, but it depends on what's going on at that time of year.

I would caution against using D3 more than twice a week. Too much CAN be toxic. They also make calcium supplements without D3, if you feel your situation requires daily supplementation. If they are getting sunshine for an hour or more 2 or 3 times a week, I personally feel that you shouldn't need any D3 at all. So maybe, calcium with D3 a couple of times a week over the winter and then plain calcium over the summer when they are getting outside regularly.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
Do you use TNT from Carolina Pet Supply? I was thinking about switching to that, but wasn't sure if i could use that exclusively or do I need to use another supplement along with it? Or is it even worth getting?

S

stells

I use a suppliment with D3 at every feeding for my young growing tortoises... my adults get it once per week... its extremely hard to overdose a young growing tortoise with D3... i have seen more soft hatchlings on the forums that recieve none...and am yet to see one with a D3 overdose...

Guess what i also use UV lighting (remember UV lights decay a fair bit... so are IMO an unreliable source) and they get outside in the summer... (summertime i only suppliment once-twice per week though)... bad me... shoot me down...

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
To each his own Kelly - there is no one perfect way to care for our torts. :) I can just tell you that my vet says that as long as they are receiving 30 minutes of sunshine per week, D3 isn't necessary and could possibly be harmful. I have never used D3 until this year with my Stars - who aren't getting out as much as I'd like.

S

stells

30 mins of sunshine per week... that sounds very little exposure... mine are out 24/7 in the summer... except the stars who only get out for a few weeks when temperatures peak... which over here doesn't happen often... 30 mins of sunshine per week here in the UK you may as well not bother with... the UV index is very low here...

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Mine are outside most of the time too - I'm just saying my vet says 30 minutes minimum per week (here in So Cal) otherwise - supplement with D3. I have no idea what it would be for the UK. Maybe some UK people can tell us what their vets recommend.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
sounds to me like it would be wise to supplement minimal when indoors. I'd rather not risk Overdose or any other problems. I'll start supplementing 2-3 times a week, they've got 2 turtle bones in there anyway, between that and supplementing they should be fine. I'm just still wondering if TNT would be a better choice to supplement with.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Get a pure Ca powder and then supplement 3 times a week. You can not over does Calcium. What ever is not used by the body is passed in the urine--Calcium is NOT stored. That is why soft bones and shells happen when it is not supplemented correctly--the body leaches it out of the shell/bones when there is not enough in the daily diet.

If your tort is under UVB, or outside, you can skip the D3. I got rid of it in my supplement schedule just for peace of mind.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I love TNT! I use it once a week, calcium (without D3) once a week, and tortoise crunchies once a week for my tortoises. I also use TNT with fruit for my box turtles and cherryheads. Of course I keep a cuttlebone available for munching on all the time as well.

chadk

10 Year Member!
stells said:
I use a suppliment with D3 at every feeding for my young growing tortoises... my adults get it once per week... its extremely hard to overdose a young growing tortoise with D3... i have seen more soft hatchlings on the forums that recieve none...and am yet to see one with a D3 overdose...

Guess what i also use UV lighting (remember UV lights decay a fair bit... so are IMO an unreliable source) and they get outside in the summer... (summertime i only suppliment once-twice per week though)... bad me... shoot me down...

All lilght is "UV". I think you mean UVB.

Status
Not open for further replies.