EBT Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebeccatx

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
:tort: The little guy (20 grams of baby tortoise) eats his strawberries and carrots every day with his romaine and baby turtle pellets. What else can he have daily (fruits and veggies)? I know there are things he can have only once in a while but what are other daily things I can give to him. I want to him/her a mituxre.

Thanks for any advice given...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're so lucky he eats fruits and veggies. Usually babies don't. Every so often you can soak some Purina Pro Plan dry cat food for him. Zucchini is well accepted by my box turtles. When he gets older you can give him tomates. Almost anything you put in a salad for yourself, he can eat too. There are lots of different kinds of greens.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Box turtles eat a lot of protein 80 percent usually babies even more but it's good I offer veggies and fruit. Reggie's should be about 10-15 percent and fruit the rest. But I usually do a mix of bugs from wax worms, night crawlers, slugs, snails, mealworms on occasion, red worms, and then make salads as well. 2 salads a week then very other day protein. That's what I do with box turtles

rebeccatx

5 Year Member
Texas
Millerlite said:
Box turtles eat a lot of protein 80 percent usually babies even more but it's good I offer veggies and fruit. Reggie's should be about 10-15 percent and fruit the rest. But I usually do a mix of bugs from wax worms, night crawlers, slugs, snails, mealworms on occasion, red worms, and then make salads as well. 2 salads a week then very other day protein. That's what I do with box turtles

He gets his protein turtle baby food every day and meal worms every 3 days or so. Can he have wax worms every day? I need a daily protein other then the pellets so he can hunt something. He loves the hunt.. I tried blood worms and he ran from them.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Wax worms are very fatty and I use them as treats not a staple. They love then it's like pop corn to them. Can you get night crawlers or red works? They are what I use the most, I mix it up tho night crawlers if you can find slugs they like those wax worms.
Mealworms are hard to digest and I use them for treats as well. Also I've seen the giant mealworms bite down on babies and pinch them with there jaws. Just be careful with them. Variety is best when it comes to food

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I offer mealworms, small superworms, darkling beetles, earthworms, and red wigglers daily.
As treats (mainly because if their price and availability as all these are very excellent staples) I offer Phoenix worms, horn worms, silkworms, and butter worms.
Box turtles are great about eating practically any bug you put in front of them as long as its not too much bigger than they are.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I use red wigglers and butter worms for a "treat" because of price as well. I had an issue where my EBT who is only 1" would not eat the red wigglers. I then cut on in half and feed in a seaperate container and he ate it after a few mins. You may need to try this, I have feed strawberrys cut up to the size of his small head almost looked like it was baby food but my EBT did eat some I offer different greens everyday but never seems interested, however I am able to feed the worms in his dish and he eats no problem for me.

rebeccatx

5 Year Member
Texas
I am so confused and then some people say no worms everyday hard for the digestive system.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
How bi is your box turtle? Their size/age will be a big factor in what they eat.

rebeccatx

5 Year Member
Texas
Rover15 said:
Here is a goodd site to read up on hopefully it will confuse you less

http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingbabyturtles/raisingbabyturtles.htm

But as baby EBT's they will eat about 80%-100% bugs/insects

Do you have pictures of yours?

That is him on my name..

Thalatte said:
How bi is your box turtle? Their size/age will be a big factor in what they eat.

He is 20 grams.. Maybe the size of a silver dollar. He eats everything I give him.. Lettuce, Carrots, Mealworms, baby crickets and strawberries and turtle baby food. I just wanted to give him something a live and that was good for him every day.

156192_10200104956297514_348321105_n.jpg
rebeccatx said:
Rover15 said:
Here is a goodd site to read up on hopefully it will confuse you less

http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingbabyturtles/raisingbabyturtles.htm

But as baby EBT's they will eat about 80%-100% bugs/insects

Do you have pictures of yours?

That is him on my name..

Thalatte said:

He is 20 grams.. Maybe the size of a silver dollar. He eats everything I give him.. Lettuce, Carrots, Mealworms, baby crickets and strawberries and turtle baby food. I just wanted to give him something a live and that was good for him every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.