Baby Eastern Box Turtle - Mealworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebeccatx

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Can they have mealworms every day? He also eats romaine, carrots, strawberries and baby turtle Pellets.

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
Mealworms are generally recommended as a treat, not a staple. Try red wigglers instead. They're small, healthy, and if you throw the worms some kitchen scraps, they'll reproduce quite nicely for you.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Two a day with Nightcrawlers or a red wiggled or two. I add mealworms like its a salad before the good stuff

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Be very careful about leaving meal worms in the enclosure. A few years ago I threw in some meal worms in a vivarium with two hatchlings. They didn't eat all of them, and eventually they turned into beetles. The beetles ate the hatchlings in only a few days, and there was nothing left but empty shells, when I dug them up. I don't feed any meal worms to hatchlings, as they are very hard to digest. I only feed wax worms, even though they have more fat. I like the pill bugs and red wigglers, and as Heather said if you buy a bunch of red wigglers on line and put them in a plastic tub and throw in your kitchen scraps, you won't believe how fast they will multiply.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I have a massive colony of mealworms and beetles in the tank with my adults and a much smaller one in the tank with the hatchlings.
I have never had an issue with the beetles snaking on the turtles I just make sure there is some salad in the enclosure as well.
I fill a shallow saucer with mealworms, darkling beetles (jack loves these and always eats them first) and superworms, then I throw a few earthworms by the areas that each turtle digs in each day.
Also as long as you have a basking spot and all your temps are spot on they won't have an issue digesting their food.

rebeccatx

5 Year Member
Texas
Is there a worm they can have daily?

Is there a worm they can have daily? What is safe for them daily? He also eats a lot of veggies and strawberries. He is a pretty good little baby. He is about 20 grams in weight.

EP429

5 Year Member
Central Texas
How about Superworms? I've been feeding them to my boxies & redfoots frequently, and am starting up a breeding colony, have 4 pupating in a different container than the one pictured & 1 beetle.
Should I just go with red wigglers instead?
DSCF6950.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.