Eastern box turtle abandoned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore, Md
Someone left a female eastern box turtle on my porch in a box... Idk where she came from, she looks like she's wild... My question is, where do I relocate her if she's not captive bred? I can't take her back to wherever she came from because idk where that is, n I don't just want to plop her in the middle of nowhere if she's not from this area... Especially if she's not wild... What should I do?!?

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Oh no!! Does she look healthy? I dont know what to tell you!! Do you live near woods ? I cant believe someone did this!! Do you have any idea who it could be? Well, hopefully you will get some good advice soon. Good luck!!!!

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
My mom lives by woods... She's very healthy n active... Strong too, she does not look sick or hurt (that I can see).... I just don't know what to do... If she's wild, I don't want to keep her, but on the other hand, I don't want to release her in an unfamiliar area... Ill keep her if she's captive, but I seriously doubt it... I just want the best for her... She's a good size too, 6"-7"... Thank u

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
If you don't know the history of it keep it. Just think of her as a gift that you can care for the rest of your life, or try to find a good home for her. Releasing her back into the wild may be detrimental to her and other turtles where you release her.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Here are some picsImageUploadedByTortForum1374272666.719353.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1374272732.098565.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1374272753.889733.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1374272820.800366.jpg

Ok that's what I was thinking... What if she's wild? Will she adjust?

She's very friendly too, she doesn't hide when u approach her or anything

Last edited by a moderator:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If her beak is slightly over grown, someone had her for a while. She may be someone's lost pet. I've never seen a WC turtle with an over grown beak. They are usually short and smooth. Or maybe someone realized how hard she was to take care of, and just dumped her by your door. She does not look wild to me. If you can make her an outdoor enclosure, large enough for her to roam about, with a little soaking pond, and plenty of plants and leaf litter to dig into .....then I would keep her.

redfoot_mama94

5 Year Member
Maine, USA
I think it would be on the safe side to keep her and try to replicate a natural enclosure as much as possible. I don't know as much about boxies other than what I've read (eastern boxies are protected and illegal to keep in Maine where i live) but the musk I had years ago adjusted amazingly and even was kept in a large aquarium with a male res and she never made an 'distressed' musky smell or acted irregularly, she just ate and swam and what not even tanked quite a bit for a musk :) - I now know much more about turtles than I did when she was caught at 11 years old, I didn't realize I risked stressing her out then.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using TortForum mobile app

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes to the above. Sounds like she is used to humans, and was probably given up by someone. She would probably appreciate a good soak.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Lynnedit- that's the first thing I did lol, she LOVED it! She took a few gulps n happily walked around the whole time... Her set up is a little different than my sulcata, but I think I've got it... We love her already :) my daughter named her Daisy :)

Thanks guys... I appreciate the support n all the sweet compliments... She will NEVER b abandoned again :)

Here's another picture I forgot to post earlier... It's my favorite of her :) ImageUploadedByTortForum1374339496.336238.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Thanks Wellington :) I was just worried she was wild n didn't want to keep her if she was... She's got a great personality n I'm glad someone dropped her off for us to love... I've learned so much about sulcatas from this forum, so I know I will get nothing but the BEST info about her species here too!!! Ill keep u guys updated on how she's adjusting...

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Keep it and enjoy the gift. Make it a nice outdoor enclosure and let it live the pampered life.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
she is beautiful keep her. maybe somebody knew that you like turtles just keep her and make her happy

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Yes... I think that's what happened cuz all my neighbors know I have a sulcata

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Atra42o said:
Yes... I think that's what happened cuz all my neighbors know I have a sulcata

What a sweet face she has! I find it bizarre that someone would just abandon her. People are so weird. I'm glad she ended up with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.