Eastern box turtle

Ricky j

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
My Eastern box turtle has yet to eat any of the live insects I have tried feeding her. I have seen her eat a few bugs outside but not very often any ideas of what I should try feeding her since she won't eat bugs she does eat chicken and tuna she won't eat the dehydrated bugs she's a little over 2 years old any help would be appreciated thanks

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
What bugs are you offering? If the turtle is eating other things, it's possible that she simply doesn't want the dehydrated bugs.

Just like people and other animals, turtles have food preferences.

For example, my Eastern Hermanns Tortoise absolutely refuses to eat dandelions. If other tortoises were around, they would think he was weird, and maybe insane.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Did you try earth worms, live mealworms or crickets? I also have been feeding guppies and minnows. My turtle won't eat the dehydrated crickets or dehydrated mealworms. I think Paxton likes to hunt.

Ricky j

Wisconsin
What bugs are you offering? If the turtle is eating other things, it's possible that she simply doesn't want the dehydrated bugs.

Just like people and other animals, turtles have food preferences.

For example, my Eastern Hermanns Tortoise absolutely refuses to eat dandelions. If other tortoises were around, they would think he was weird, and maybe insane.
I can't get her to eat live bugs either I've tried worms, slugs and meal worms I'm gonna try mizuri aquatic turtle food/diet see if that works

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
When I feed Paxton ( live crickets, mealworms or earth worms) I put him in a small plastic bin with shallow warm water. I put a piece of slate in there so he can stand out of the water if he wants.

Ricky j

Wisconsin
When I feed Paxton ( live crickets, mealworms or earth worms) I put him in a small plastic bin with shallow warm water. I put a piece of slate in there so he can stand out of the water if he wants.
K thanks I'll try that

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I hope it helps

Attachments

• PXL_20230404_163035660.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230404_163035660.MP.jpg
    913.8 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230307_171635942.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230307_171635942.MP.jpg
    765.9 KB · Views: 8

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Paxton is a desert box turtle

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I've never seen one of them but the pattern on the shell reminds me of the ornate box turtles how old is he
They are similar but different regions. Paxton is seven months old. What is your turtle's name? She is pretty

zovick

10 Year Member!
I've never seen one of them but the pattern on the shell reminds me of the ornate box turtles how old is he
Hey Ricky,

The Desert Box Turtle is a western subspecies of the Ornate Box Turtle. The Ornate Box Turtle is named Terrapene ornata ornata and the Desert Box Turtle is named Terrapene ornata luteola.

The adult Desert Box turtles usually have a muted greenish/yellow head color and their shell patterns become more faded out with age while the nominate subspecies adults retain their contrasting brown and yellow shell coloration and the brown and yellow spotting on their heads and necks as well.

Reactions: Ink

Ricky j

Wisconsin
Hey Ricky,

The Desert Box Turtle is a western subspecies of the Ornate Box Turtle. The Ornate Box Turtle is named Terrapene ornata ornata and the Desert Box Turtle is named Terrapene ornata luteola.

The adult Desert Box turtles usually have a muted greenish/yellow head color and their shell patterns become more faded out with age while the nominate subspecies adults retain their contrasting brown and yellow shell coloration and the brown and yellow spotting on their heads and necks as well.
I didn't know that thanks for the information

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Rj, That cute lil girl have a name? She is cute.....

You mean you offered live white/gray slugs to your little guy and he didn't rip it a new one?

"Your experience may vary"

Matilda (ebt) never saw a slug till I caught a could for her around 9mos old I think......she went after them like she was preprogramed! She literally climbed over live worms to get to the slugs! Like a Terminator movie!

Ricky j

Wisconsin
Rj, That cute lil girl have a name? She is cute.....

You mean you offered live white/gray slugs to your little guy and he didn't rip it a new one?

"Your experience may vary"

Matilda (ebt) never saw a slug till I caught a could for her around 9mos old I think......she went after them like she was preprogramed! She literally climbed over live worms to get to the slugs! Like a Terminator movie!
No I still haven't gave her a name lol