Baby eastern box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

atuck34

5 Year Member
I have had a baby eastern box turtle for about 5 months now and she's about a year old. Shes been eating great and is active and alert. I have had box turtles before but never a baby box turtle and I'm not sure how fast they grow. Mine seems very tiny still and I just want to know if shes growing normally.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
welcome. that's great! post some pics of your baby!

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
Buy a food scale, or one of the small scales from Harbour Freights. That way you can monitor weight gain.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Can't see your pics ... but my motto is "slow and steady wins the race" when it comes to turtle/tortoise growth. :)

atuck34

5 Year Member
Thanks I have been trying to feed her a variety of foods but she tends to only eat the box turtle pellets and bugs but won't eat anything else I offer. I'm not the biggest fan of only feeding commercial diets but she won't eat anything else so I'm just concerned that she seems so tiny to me. Her shell doesn't seem to have any abnormalities it's just her size im concerned about.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
atuck34 said:
Thanks I have been trying to feed her a variety of foods but she tends to only eat the box turtle pellets and bugs but won't eat anything else I offer. I'm not the biggest fan of only feeding commercial diets but she won't eat anything else so I'm just concerned that she seems so tiny to me. Her shell doesn't seem to have any abnormalities it's just her size im concerned about.

When I first got my baby boxie, she didn't want to eat anything but bugs too. I read from this forum that a lot of people tried reptomin, so I tried that and she went crazy for them. So when she would open her mouth to take a bite out of the reptomin, I did a switchoroo on her and she would take a bite out of red leaf lettuce, or raspberry, or puréed carrots. Now she eats everything I give her!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi atuck34:

Welcome to the Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Ive been reading a lot of turtle care books and they say that you can put Cod Liver Oil on different foods to trick the turtle into trying it.. I gave my baby some worms with raspberries and swiss chard and when she bit into the raspberry on accident trying to get the worm, she spit it out !

Status
Not open for further replies.