Dull shell

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
its called an article 10 specimen specific certificate, was given to us when we bought him

katfinlou

5 Year Member
do you have paper work? we got some with our fido, i'm not sure what he is either! i'll try grab a pic

She was given to me much to my surprise. Wasnt planned, hadnt even considered a tortoise in my family until my friends husband brought her to my door. Apparently the previous owner is supposed to be giving me papers via said friend but ive had her since October and still haven't received them... :/

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
She looks like an Eastern to me, but I'm no expert. HermanniChris is the man in the know on Hermann's!:)

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Beautiful tortoise and it is without a doubt an Eastern.

Westerns are very rare in the USA, they may be seen more often in other countries but it's proven time and time again that they are all mostly mixed genetics. This does not necessarily mean they are hybrids between the western and eastern subspecies but it can mean mixed locales or strains. Testudo hermanni hermanni is broken down into a few major strains like southern France, Balearics islands, Mainland Spain, Mainland Italy and Italian islands. The subspecies represents 13 different haplotypes which separate them to a degree from one another. Some strains are clearly visibly different. Sadly, the majority of them available in other countries are all a genetic melting pot. This was something I spent my life's work trying to avoid and we now maintain all 100% pure, locality-strain specific groups here.

Ok, nerd alert, I need to stop.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Are the lack of papers a problem for me? I do hope im not owning her illegally :(

rach.sxo

Wolverhampton
Are the lack of papers a problem for me? I do hope im not owning her illegally :(
When I brought mine I was told that whoever is making financial gain legally has to hand over the papers, however if it given as a gift (no financial agreement) there is legal obligation for papers to be handed over. So your not owning yours illegally don't worry :)

katfinlou

5 Year Member
When I brought mine I was told that whoever is making financial gain legally has to hand over the papers, however if it given as a gift (no financial agreement) there is legal obligation for papers to be handed over. So your not owning yours illegally don't worry :)
That's such a relief, thank you! :)