Dull Matt Shell

rara

5 Year Member
I just got myself these 2 cuties. Love them to bits as they are so active healthy and inquisitive. But I cant help but notice that their shells seem a little lacking of shine hence giving it a matt look. Is this normal at this age or are they lacking something? Hope to get some advice from experienced keepers.

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 110
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 108
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 106

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
I do not see anything wrong of those two very beautiful torts.

They are just beautiful.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Be sure to offer your new tortoises a healthy diet and all the vitamins and minerals they need to grow strong and healthy. Eventually the healthy diet will help the shell to shine.

I know there's a big controversy right now over using products containing palm oil, but I'm feeding my aldabran tortoises palm oil several times a week to see if it does them any good. I'm using a product called "Heal X" "Sunshine Factor" I mix it in with the Mazuri Tortoise Diet.

You can also use a topical. Some people swear by a product called Vita Shell. You can buy it at pet stores. You put a small amount on the tortoise's shell and rub it in, then polish off the excess with a clean, absorbent cloth. You can also use olive oil the same way.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The shells on those two torts are perfection....a tortoise shell does not shine naturally, when you look on line here as well as other places where pics are posted keep in mind that people will "shine up" their torts or wet them for the pic...this is why they look shiny....it is not natural for them to be shiny....but it is natural for them to look gorgeous as those two torts you have there.....beautiful.

Please take care in researching all that you can to assure that you offer them the proper environment in which to continue to do well....:D

rara

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the kind replies and shared info. Here's sharing of 2 more pics. :)

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 72
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 79

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
They are perfectly normal and you are fortunate to have a couple beauties like that