Dull shell

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, ive seen lots of pics of beautiful torts on this forum and I wonder how my Hermanns shell is kind of dull looking and lacking 'depth' of colour, yet most on here seem to have a lovely richness and sheen. Is it because of her poor start or something im doing wrong just that hermanns aren't that shiny?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Darn! You've discovered our secret. For pictures, most of us wash the tortoise real well to remove any dirt, even scrubbing with a soft brush, then we wet them again and quickly snap the picture. The trick is a wet shell, not any polish or wax.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Neither waxed nor wet, not even clean, but still a little beauty. :<3:
3.JPG

I don't like shiny shells. Dirt and scratches are just proof that the tortoise lives a full life in a structured enclosure with natural substrate.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
So I can put she wax and buffing cloth away then? Lol
Im relieved that she's ok and just needs more time in the beauty parlour before her photo shoots lol ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It also depends on the type of hermanni. The Easterns are beautiful tortoises, but they don't have the super duper vibrant colors of the Westerns. If you've been looking at pics of HermanniChris's Western tortoises, well then welcome to the jealously club. Nobody's tortoise pics look as good as his.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Ive no idea what kind she is to be honest, how would I find that out?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ive no idea what kind she is to be honest, how would I find that out?

Westerns are very rare in the US. If you had one you would know it. Almost all of them over here are Easterns.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
If you've been looking at pics of HermanniChris's Western tortoises, well then welcome to the jealously club.
That's true, they are sooo beautiful! ;)
Western Hermann's are not so rare around here, but I still decided to get Eastern because they are more suitable for my climate.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
im very vocal about care involved, we got off to a 'pet store start' :/ , do my best to make sure it doesn't happen agin. but yeah i agree with you, could be unfortunate outcome

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So like women using push up bras, and photoshop, these pics are all lies, LIES!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
@katfinlou take a look at the Hermann's care sheet, there are pictures how to distinguish between Western and Eastern. ;)

I guess yours is Eastern.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Im in the UK, are they rare here too?

I really don't know. I've never been to the UK. Seems like they would be more common since they come from so close to there. Sometimes they call them "dwarf hermanns" tortoises in the UK. Its one of those confusing regional common names.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
do you have paper work? we got some with our fido, i'm not sure what he is either! i'll try grab a pic