Drawback of Overwintering in house

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Su is quite the queen of the house. Her bedroom remains at 85 degrees with high humidity thanks to a warm mist humidifier cranking out at full blast. She has a "bed" that she crawls into at night and can leave the room any time she wishes during the day to explore her kingdom and sunbathe. Unfortunately, she doesn't ALWAYS do her business in her soaking. MrrrrrrImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453828470.263175.jpg

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
And to parrots.

They sort of make you glad cows cant fly !
m0106.gif

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you sure the temp at her level is warm enough?
Also, when you say she can leave whenever she wants to explore, this is in the rest of the house? Just a warning, if she is roaming when she wants, it's a very dangerous way to keep a tort. Also any sunbathing, this is through glass? Which is blocking the UVB, so do you have a UVB source for her? Many dangers lurking for her in the house she is roaming. Sure hope you/she don't experience one of the many dangers that can hurt or kill her.

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Please-- I have all that covered. Chill. Omg. Some people have to inject all of their "woe is me"s. I was sharing a picture for heaven's sake. Don't interrogate or make assumptions.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please-- I have all that covered. Chill. Omg. Some people have to inject all of their "woe is me"s. I was sharing a picture for heaven's sake. Don't interrogate or make ASSumptions.
Just making sure you know of the woes. Don't want you having to live through the woes. So chill, that's what this forum is for. Not to just look at cute but possibly dangerous pictures and say nothing.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Please-- I have all that covered. Chill. Omg. Some people have to inject all of their "woe is me"s. I was sharing a picture for heaven's sake. Don't interrogate or make ASSumptions.
We all came here to learn or to help ! So be nice she was trying ( very nicely I feel ) help you ! If you let us ! So be nice it's not that hard !

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
No. It is NOT to prejudge. Was there a question in the original posting that gave any indication I was someone asking for your opinion or thoroughly unjustified implies criticisms?That sends people away. Lighten up. Tom, erase all my threads.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
No. It is NOT to prejudge. Was there a question in the original posting that gave any indication I was someone asking for your opinion or thoroughly unjustified implies criticisms?That sends people away. Lighten up. Tom, erase all my threads.

when you put stuff in a thread like this you are pretty much asking for people's opinion's. post it as a standard photo without the thread and no body could really say much.

also i don't think Tom is a mod

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
That is a debatable point with which I respectfully do not necessarily agree with. Bye y'all

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member

Prairie Mom

As a side note...When I read the title of your post and saw you were attaching photos, I was extremely interested to talk to you and see what you were posting about because I, myself, keep my young adult sulcata inside over the winter months and intend to continue housing her indoors through my extremely rough winter seasons for the foreseeable future. I was looking forward to reading about and sharing with another member who may be in a similar situation.

When I came upon this...
-------------------------------Particularly this rudeness---^
I decided I'd rather avoid your posts in the future. She only posed questions and expressed a concern. You could have easily ignored it and moved on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, erase all my threads.

I appreciate the compliment, but I am not a mod.

Also, you've been given good advice here, and I'm sorry that you are offended or irritated by that fact. It makes me sad for your tortoise.

Indulge me for one moment please. I work with exotic animals daily for my career. That being the case, I have worked closely with exotic vets for decades. Many are friends and share my dinner table with me at holidays, special occasions, and anytime we can all find the time. My vet friends know of my "tortoise affliction" and share all of their tortoise cases with me. When I visit their offices I get the whole, "Hey Tom! Come check out this tortoise x-ray. You won't believe what THIS one ate…", treatment. I see all the broken bones, dog maulings, cracked carapaces, smashed heads and limbs, electrocution burns from biting wires, poisoning from plants or other things, burned eyes or lungs from cleaning products on the floor, RIs from cold temps, etc… The list goes on and on and on. I've seen countless children and adults crying in the vets office, and not a single one of them thought anything bad would happen. All loved their pet, supervised carefully, and thought the tortoise would be fine in the house. All were wrong, and all their tortoises paid the price.

Let me ask you to imagine the sound, smell and appearance of an anesthetized tortoise on its back with a vet hovering over it, literally sawing a hole in the plastron. Then imagine the sights, sounds and smells when the vet pries open that cut section of plastron, reaches in and starts fishing around the tortoises guts to find and remove the swallowed foreign object that is blocking the intestine. Imagine the pain that tortoise will feel for months of recovery. I've seen, smelled and listened to this surgery several times, and heard all about it many more times. Other members here know what I'm talking about too. Its a horrible thing and everybody who this happens to thinks, "It won't happen to me.", until it DOES happen to them.

We simply don't want you or anyone else, or their tortoise, to suffer this fate. Is that really so bad? Is that really a reason to be mad and want to leave us? We mean no offense, but if the question is judgement, then based on a lot of personal experience, I do judge tortoises roaming loose on the floor as a very dangerous practice. Because I like you, and I love all tortoises, I'm willing to spend 30 minutes of my life typing this up, proofreading it, and posting it, all in the hopes that it will convince people to protect their tortoises and not engage in this unquestionably dangerous practice.

I sincerely hope that this does not offend you, or anyone else, but if it does, then so be it. It needs to be said and people need to know.

Last edited by a moderator: