Don't trade with Mr. McGee in MS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
So I mailed off my 5 Eastern Box Turtles to trade for two adult male Leopards… Well I guess it turned out to be a scam. The guy and I were in constant contact through email/lan/cell/text but is now replying to neither. We were BOTH supposed to ship them last Monday! The 16th, well I got the email stating that FedEx had indeed arrived and he signed for them. Well; were are my two Adult Male Leopards?

Lamont McGee, from Indianola, MS. Or D. Magee is what the person signed…

He has yet to get in contact with me; basically accepted delivery and then disappeared.

Sooo.
If anyone is purchasing a Baby Eastern from that state and city know that they were once mine; and that this guy may never do a proper trade or sale. They left here in great health, eating well; its just sad, I never thought in a million years that I’d get screwed by a fellow Turtle/Tortoise “owner/vendor”…
“My husband was like; I think he ordered them to eat them.”

Question; its doubtful, but is there anything I could do?
The trade was supposed to be an even swap, we covered our own shipping etc.
So I have my fedex information from SYR, but no clue what step I would take? I mean this guy basically pulled out of the trade once he got the Turtles; even though the day he got them I should have got the Torts… Grrr…
Lessoned learned. Trust no traders, and make sure the FEDEX tracking numbers are doing that, keeping track of the trade. (Rolls Eyes)… I hate myself… My poor kids; who knows what has happened.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you have the emails saved you could go after him in court, but I am pretty sure you would have to go to his state, and travel expenses would more than likely not be recoverable. And you could sue for only the retail value of 5 eastern box turtles, I am not so sure about shipping.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
dmmj said:
If you have the emails saved you could go after him in court, but I am pretty sure you would have to go to his state, and travel expenses would more than likely not be recoverable. And you could sue for only the retail value of 5 eastern box turtles, I am not so sure about shipping.

Thank you dmmj ...
I was thinking of that. But I don't think my hubby and I want to take it to that extreme, I just wanted to make sure others here are aware of this man. It's just sick though; I had my hopes up for the Leopards; I should have known the trade was too good to be true... *pout*

Thank You CLMoss ... Worst part is my little baby Leopard [on Wednesday] 'Savannah' passed away, with no signs at all... and I was waiting on the two males, this has not been the best week....

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Thats why i've always stuck to only doing business with friends and family. Trades are hard to do online merely because of this issue....what if it's a scam. Id always leave trades and reptile expos then you have hard proof and you know what your trading.....it's sick though that there are people out there like this....he probably acquired those adult leopards doing the same exact thing.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If the adult leopards even exist.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I would not let it go. I would call from every phone I could to his cell and his landline. Know any officers that can help?Be a Pest!!!!
Oh I hate that people have no scruples...
And keep an eye out, you'll probably see your boxies soon, up for trade or sale, where did you hook up with him.? Watch , he'll surface again. ANd you should be waiting. Maybe set him up, get a new email and say you have such and such to trade. You know this isn't the first time.
He should not get away with it.
So sorry. Nay

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I am sorry you got screwed over. There are just way too many crooks on this planet. I hope you can get your boxies back and get some punishment for this chump.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would contact the police in his area. Let them know what happened and that you have proof (emails/fedex tracking) that the deal was made, he got your torts and that he scammed you. They may be able to help at least get yours back. If you have pictures of yours, let them know that too.
Good luck. I would try everything possible. So sorry this happened.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
nay i tried... i assumed his cell was off so called the lan, its basically a phone number without the voice mail set up... the cell, we text in the beginning like crazy sending photos back and forth... but neither number gets answered or returned or even emails, i shoot read and delivered requests, but he probably has it on ignore... grr off to the gym eww

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
tyrs4u said:
nay i tried... i assumed his cell was off so called the lan, its basically a phone number without the voice mail set up... the cell, we text in the beginning like crazy sending photos back and forth... but neither number gets answered or returned or even emails, i shoot read and delivered requests, but he probably has it on ignore... grr off to the gym eww

If you sent the torts to him, then you have an address. Let the police know. This person stole from you, he broke the law and your probably not his first.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I agree with Wellington. The sheriff, county prosecutor, someone has probably heard complaints about the guy before. They may never be able to make it right for you, but they may be able to shut him down before some other unsuspecting person gets involved. Letter to the editor in his local newspaper? Ad in the personals in his local newspaper? You can make his life difficult one way or another.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ummm I would say the first suspician would be 2 male leopards adults for 5 boxies, I would of been suspicious from the get go. Two adult leopard males are worth way more than 5 boxies. But thats not the point he basically stole them from you which sucks. Id call the aherriff the everyone else suggested.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I'm sorry you seem to have been screwed by trusting someone. Makes it hard to do again. Call the sherrif in his county, and ask if there's anything you can do. Be nice,maybe they'll call the guy.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would do exactly what you did here, bring it to the attention of other online groups. I would be making threads in every tortoise or reptile forum out there, every nearby pet store listed in his area, every reptile club in the area, every Vet, every Craig's list.

As for taking him to small claims court, I would check into if you have to be there yourself in person, or if you can have somebody there for you. Then find a member perhaps who would do this. Thing is, if I was going to scam somebody, I would not be using my real name. You do have an address, but you can always be sitting outside waiting for the package to come and act like you live there.

stena29

5 Year Member
Porterville ca
Man I would be pissed. I was so scared when I got my hatchling delievered to me. I was scared when I paid till the second she was in my hands. I'm sorry this happens to you. Sucks people have to be so dirty. I can't stand thieves....

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
This same guy tried to scam me. I warned the mods about him. I also posted on his "welcome" thread in introductions telling people not to trade with him because he's a fraud. His user name is polleni98. The guy's name is Lamont MaGee and lives in Indianola, Ms. About an hour and half from where I live. I told Yvonne all about him. I'm sorry the word never got to you.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hi--45595#axzz21aTPZUEj

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't believe he is a member. I didn't know that. I thought it was through kingsnake or fauna. That stinks and now it really stinks. Most of our members I feel could be trusted 110%. Sucks that someone joins and doesn't get it that the majority of the members here are honest, giving, caring tortoise and turtle lovers.
I would still contact the police. He is a thief and needs to pay.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
He was insisting on trading with me by shipping each other's torts instead of me meeting him there in Indianola, Ms. After research, I found that the pics he sent me of the 2 large male redfoots, were pics of 2 males that he copied from tortoise supply.com's website. He was had and he knew it.

Status
Not open for further replies.