Vet said don't worry but my tort is definitely puffy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
We just got back from South Branch Pet & Bird Clinic in Austin, TX (on the recommended vet list), and I am pretty disappointed. My gut instinct is that something is wrong with Turbo, but after a 2 minute "exam" (if I can even call it that), the vet said she's perfectly healthy and that I have nothing to worry about. $50 down the drain in a matter of 4 minutes.

The short story is that the other day Turbo (3 year old, 157 grams) woke up and was very swollen - most noticeably around her neck area, but I'm also pretty sure her front arms were swollen as well. Her arms are pretty much back to normal now, but her neck is definitely still puffy. The vet said it's air - but how on earth is that normal?! He said if she's still puffy in a few more days to come back – yeah right!

On top of the mystery swelling, Turbo had a decent size "chunk" of her upper jaw under her eye socket “peal” away about 4 weeks ago. Dr. M. said this was just an “injury” and it would heal on its own. Turbo can still eat normally and she's also drinking and moving around as actively as always, but I read up on metabolic bone disorder and I’m afraid we might be dealing with the onset. :( When I asked the vet about this he basically just told me her shell looked good and her jaw wasn’t pliable or weak and therefore it’s not any kind of deficiency.

I’m already set on getting a 2nd opinion. Does anyone have any advice? Yes I use calcium supplement and have a UVB bulb – I use Powersun 5.0 and just replaced the bulb about 3 months ago. Turbo gets fresh spring mix every day and could definitely use more outdoor/sun exposure which we've started doing more consistantly these last few days.

Oh and I've also got Tank, another Greek but in a different enclosure. They've had the exact same upbringing and he's very robust, strong, and healthy. Sorry for not having any pictures, I can't find the charger for my camera.

Thanks for reading this.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I say go with your instinct and see another vet. Swollen limbs is a serious symptom that needs more than a cusery 4 minute exam. $50 bucks for 4 minutes? Thats riduculous. How could a thorough examination be done in 4 minutes?! I'd be angry if I were you.

Is there anyone else from Austin on the forum? Maybe somewhere can recommend a better vet in your area.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My first vet visit for my sick russian the vet spent almost 45 mins asking questions about my food and husbandry and stuff like that. I think a 4 min visit is not enough time to find out anything try to find another vet I know they are pricey but I myself would consult another one.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Without seeing a photo, based on your description of "puffy" skin around the neck and limbs it sounds very much like a protozoa infestation which is easily treatable. As long as your tortoise hasn't gone too long and is still eating well and active and it's eyes are open and clear.
Flagyl (metrondazole) is the commonly used drug to control internal parasites and bacterial infestations. The tortoise should be kept warm and have sufficient UV light, well hydrated and it should be monitored to make sure that it's eating something since protozoa infestation can often disrupte their normal eating pattern too.
Regardless of what it may be, it is not "air"!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some types of turtle are able to puff themselves up to look bigger and more threatening. I've seen quite a few mud turtles and side-necks that puff up. But its still not "air." Maybe your vet was thinking of this when he told you that.

Is there another vet on the list in your area? I'm sorry you didn't get satisfactory service at this vet and now you have to go to another and spend more money. But you shouldn't adopt a wait and see attitude because it might be something serious like a kidney problem. Or it might be just as easy as de-worming with Flagyll, like GBtortoises told you.

When the vet list was assembled, a phone call was made to each office to ask if the vet treated exotics. This doesn't mean that the vet is experienced, only that they told the caller that yes, they see exotics. Its important that each of you offer us your experience with your vets so that we can tweak the list. Eventually we will have a good list of tortoise-treating vets, and we will be able to depend on it! So keep us informed.

Yvonne

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
Thank you so much - I've got another appointment for Turbo tomorrow at 4pm so I'll keep you posted. Thank you all very much.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Glad to hear you have another appointment. 4 minutes sounds a bit short for an exam! I have only heard bad things about puffiness, so I hope it is something simpler. Best wishes. Please keep us updated.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
TanknTurbo I too am interested at the outcome of your last visit. I had a little greek that was swollen and found out utilmatly that it was a bladder stone. Please keep us informed how Turbo is doing.

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
Please excuse the delay, and thanks for your concern! Yesterday evening we took Turbo to see Dr. Brandt at Westgate Pet & Bird and am very happy we got a second opinion. First let me say that our veterinary experience was a hundred times better than the last one, thank goodness!

Turbo's "puffiness" has gone down significantly, and the vet agreed that Turbo appeared to have edema - not "air intake!" - but that overall there weren't any other indications of an illness or infection. Some causes for swelling he said include protein deficiency, heart & kidney issues, parasites...everything you guys came up with as well. Well, I just got off the phone about Turbo's fecal and the poor little girl has pin worms. They're sending off a sample for more testing and I should find out on Thursday, and now I'm just waiting for the vet to call me back about how to treat it.

I do have a 2 and a half year old daughter and I know pinworms are common with children... oh goodness, do you know if we treat the whole family? I think I've read a post about pin worms in the forum before so I'll definitely search for info ASAP.

Anyway, the vet also said the damage to Turbo's jaw has no signs of a current infection, but that an infection may have been a cause. He said if the injury doesn't interfere with Turbo eating just keep an eye on it and monitor any changes.

So, definitely no metobolic bone disorder/disease, and I'll keep you guys posted on any additional news with the fecal and how the pinworm treatment's coming along.

:) Emma & Turbo

Oh right - it was sweet Little Bits thread that I read about pin worms...hmm, let's hope it doesn't turn out to be something more than this!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so glad this vet visit was more satisfactory. Was this a vet you got off our list? We're going to have to come up with a rating system. Maybe a star by their name if one of our members approves of the vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.