Does this forum condone tortoise flipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'd say that's a bad idea . For us it's more than money . We have them for the love of the animals. Most will breed them and sell the babies to help cover some of the housing cost .

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
I feel like it would all come down to if there was deception involved. If someone posts that they are trying to re-home their tortoise for free and in a hurry (due to some time related factors) and someone else says they will take it in for a while while they look for a permanent home, that would certainly seem to be a better alternative than simply releasing the tortoise into the wild as many people do.
This would be different from a person who puts up an add for a tortoise they are trying to re-home to a better home with more space and someone makes it seem like they will be providing this permanent forever home. When really their intention the whole time was to get a free tortoise to sell. So I guess for me it comes to what was the intent, and was their deception. People have been buying low/ getting for free and turning around and selling for profit since people could sell things.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The reason I frown upon it is because usually the member's tortoise is a very well-loved animal that they hate to let go, but circumstances dictate the have to find it a new home. I really don't like seeing a spoiled pet going to someone who is only in it for the money. If the member has a chance to give it to someone on the Forum that they've looked into, then they might rest a little easier knowing it is going to a good home.

A flipper doesn't care who he sells the tortoise to. He just wants to make a buck.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
there's no specific rules I can find against it or anything. But most of us frown upon it

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't condone it! Most flippers are dirt bags and don't give good care to the animal they are flipping, because it cuts into their profits. Same goes for animal brokers! They both equal garbage people!

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
After watching shows about flipping houses, they never seem to do stuff professionally, and that's for expensive houses.

Also I thought you meant helping the tortoise back on its feet if it rolls on its back :p

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I just want to be honest, I flip birds on a few occasions:) As for turtle/tortoises, I've found too much dishonesty and deceit in the whole process. Now if you flip by purchasing a tort from someone because you feel bad for the animals situation or care, nurse them back to good health, and adopt them out to a good home.......I'm game on that flipping subject.....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Does this forum condone tortoise flipping?

If you place a dollar amount on a tortoise....someone is looking for that type of tortoise....the transaction occurs, both walk away satisfied with the sell...then that is that.

Folks here sell tortoise...turtle all of the time and for someone to sell a tort for their own profit and then turn around and lay judgement in another for selling as well....is well, a hypocrite plain and simple...playing the moral card while placing a dollar sign on another living thing puts all that do it in the same game...just sayin...

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I've been unable to receive contact back from the gal who fostered most of my sulcatas while I was recovering from my auto accident. I could, in no way, care for them at the time with a broken neck and multiple broken ribs, but I had no idea she would do this. The worse part of all this is she identifies herself as a tortoise rescue. So in that regard, I don't condone flipping of tortoises at all.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've been unable to receive contact back from the gal who fostered most of my sulcatas while I was recovering from my auto accident. I could, in no way, care for them at the time with a broken neck and multiple broken ribs, but I had no idea she would do this. The worse part of all this is she identifies herself as a tortoise rescue. So in that regard, I don't condone flipping of tortoises at all.
You mean she still has them?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
You mean she still has them?
I'm not sure. I've only been able to email her. I lack her phone number. She has not bothered to respond to me. This all took place while I was in recovery. From what my understanding was at the time, she took them in with the full understanding that they were fosters. Two forum keepers/members have a total of 7 of mine that they've become very attached to and with my blessings they are welcome to keep them. This third gal has made zero effort at contacting me and from the only conclusion I can draw is that she's hanging on to them until I forget or leave the forum, then she'll be back with some great tortoises to "flip"…

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
OK, so it appears we currently have someone who "adopted" two russians in may for free. Now they have the pair listed on this forum for $175. So they took someones pets who wanted a permanent, loving home for them and are SELLING them 2 months later. A couple of us called attention to it but the posts were deleted. But the OP is being allowed to use the forum to flip them for a profit.

I don't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.