Intentionally Flipping Your Tort For Practice??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Before Rosie's current enclosure she'd flip herself trying to climb the walls but usually righted herself. A few times she even escaped (falling 2 feet) and was found wandering the room. I think tortoises in the wild would find themselves flipped or occasionally taking a fall and while I did not do these things intentionally, she's very good about righting herself. I wouldn't do it on purpose just because of the stress it causes.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Ok, this is both an interesting and entertaining thread!
I have an almost 3 month old sulcata and I have found her flipped several times. Once in her water dish, which is, thankfully, shallow. The thing is that she is not even TRYING to right herself. I don't know if she has given up by the time I find her or what. Of the times it has happened it couldn't have been more than 20 min. There isn't a ton of stuff on her enclosure, but I know she's trying to climb her hides (or rearrange them) and getting off balance. Does that mean I need to clutter it up more?
Also, she never seems really affected by the experience. I flip her over and she goes on about her business.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Kameo37 said:
Ok, this is both an interesting and entertaining thread!
I have an almost 3 month old sulcata and I have found her flipped several times. Once in her water dish, which is, thankfully, shallow. The thing is that she is not even TRYING to right herself. I don't know if she has given up by the time I find her or what. Of the times it has happened it couldn't have been more than 20 min. There isn't a ton of stuff on her enclosure, but I know she's trying to climb her hides (or rearrange them) and getting off balance. Does that mean I need to clutter it up more?
Also, she never seems really affected by the experience. I flip her over and she goes on about her business.

Being on their backs can cause problems even death. Cluttering t up more, may help as long as its not more things to fall off of, but try to figure out what she is doing to make herself flip and then fix it or take it out. Making a hide that they can't climb or putting a piece of wood across the inside of the corners will usually help. Also, putting things like rocks in their water dish will help them have something to grab hold of to right themselves. Making sure the water isn't too deep and that there is nothing under their basking light that could make them flip, as those are the worse places to flip. Most seem to grow out of it wonder they get a little older.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
She can't climb her hides. They are plastic bowls, turned over with a hole cut out for a door. It's just the act of trying to climb then that's making her flip.
I will try putting stones in her water dish (which is a plant saucer that is buried level in the substrate).
I know the deadly consequences of her flipping, which is why I'm worried! I'm hoping is a young tortoise thing and that, like you said, she will outgrow it.

Cutva

5 Year Member
Not a great idea in my opinion i have only had a tortoise flip over once.:D

Sent from my SCH-I510 using TortForum mobile app

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Well, it does appear that she is learning. She flipped the other day and we happened to be right there. We gave her a minute and she totally righted herself! We were so proud that we clapped!

Sloane's Redfoots

5 Year Member
I think it depends on the tort. I have 2 RF's and Juno spazzes out when she flips. She doesn't even try to help herself. She's literally frozen in fear and she hides for the rest of the day. I've seen Jupiter flip and he waves his arms a little then looks at me like... uh... really? Just going to stand there I see. As soon as I turn him back he stomps over to his food dish as though I now owe him a treat for being so negligent.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Tort owners apparently are quick witts! LOL
My two redfoots are just about 2 1/2 years. I have found one of them flipped recently, twice now. Nothing changed in their enclose except that they have grown. So I removed some of the fake plants. I am thinking she flipped over on her buddy while squeezing through a tight spot.
I had the same experience as some others. She was just laying there. No apparent struggle. But no apparent stress, either. Once flipped back over, she just carried on. Of my two, who are the same age, she is biggest and has a lower dome.
I had been wondering how long they must be in that position before it is critical.

Ann from CT

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I just experienced my first flip. A new Leopard baby flipped onto its back while walking over a rock. Literally within 10 seconds "she" had flipped herself back over using the same rock for footing.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.