Does my 2.5kg Sulcata look ok?

Beibitoi

Location (City and/or State)
Manila
Hi,

Just want to share photos of my sulcata for possible comments on his present condition. I've had him for close to 2 years now. He's around 2.5 kilos, with a carapace length of 10 inches, and a width of 7 inches.

I've kept him in a close enclosure since I got him, with only a basking halogen light and LED strips for ambient lighting. I've maintained humidity at at least 85%, with daily soak for about 30 mins. The last time I measured the temp was 38 deg. celsius.

He has his occasional sun bath for about 2 hours every week. During rainy season, he gets none of that.

His diet mainly consists of mazuri and left over vegetables.

Does he look ok as of now? I've noticed a slight pyramiding but I hope it's still at an acceptable rate. Are there necessary routines I am not doing now?

Also, I've met this Vet before who asked me if I have already dewormed my then sulcata. Are we even supposed to do that?

thanks in advance for your replies.

1BAAC8ED-E44B-4008-A093-224D66A03606.jpeg7CB0BD73-C482-4940-B61C-75AE3B33A8CC.jpeg216929BB-2398-4289-9B1C-4CD164410504.jpeg3EB7F587-B839-40EA-A56E-5941192CC1D2.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

Just want to share photos of my sulcata for possible comments on his present condition. I've had him for close to 2 years now. He's around 2.5 kilos, with a carapace length of 10 inches, and a width of 7 inches.

I've kept him in a close enclosure since I got him, with only a basking halogen light and LED strips for ambient lighting. I've maintained humidity at at least 85%, with daily soak for about 30 mins. The last time I measured the temp was 38 deg. celsius.

He has his occasional sun bath for about 2 hours every week. During rainy season, he gets none of that.

His diet mainly consists of mazuri and left over vegetables.

Does he look ok as of now? I've noticed a slight pyramiding but I hope it's still at an acceptable rate. Are there necessary routines I am not doing now?

Also, I've met this Vet before who asked me if I have already dewormed my then sulcata. Are we even supposed to do that?

thanks in advance for your replies.
Your tort looks fine.

A few observations:
-Its time for this tortoise to live outside full time with a temperature controlled insulated shelter attached to a large enclosure. Your climate is perfect for this.
-Halogen bulbs should not be used over tortoises. They cause pyramiding. Baby sulcatas need a regular incandescent flood lamp, but yours is now too large for basking lamps and CHEs. Its time for you to move on to better heating strategies. I'll link two threads at the end for this.
-38C directly under the basking bulb is fine. 38C all over the enclosure is too hot. Ambient temp inside the enclosure should drop to around 26-27C at night and rise to around 30-33 during the heat of the day.
-Mazuri is fine to feed once or twice a week. I wouldn't feed it every day.
-Leftover vegetables is not the right diet for this species. You tortoise should be eating mostly grasses and weeds. Some tree leave are good too like mulberry or moringa. Hibiscus, grape leaves, and many flowers are good too. Grocery store type vegetables should be kept to a minimum.
-The only time any tortoise should be de-wormed is when there is some sort of problem apparent, a fecal sample has been checked, there is an over abundance of a parasitic non-commensal species of worm, and then, only then, should the correct wormer for that species of parasitic worm be given in the correct dosage. Preventative worming is not necessary, and is arguably detrimental.

Beibitoi

Manila
Thanks Tom!

I realized I was off with my math about the temp. 😅 The basking was 100F, and the ambient ranging from 75F to 80F day and night. Didnt know I have to adjust the temp and make it less warm at night. Will do that.

You did a wonderful build there! For fear that I couldn't execute it properly, I was thinking of buying this big rubber basin, cut an opening, and put a plastic strip on the entry. Do you think it would work?

As for the heating, I'm wondering why CHEs wont work? Outside temperature here in Manila ranges from 27C to 35C. During summer it could reach 40C easily. The coldest it could get is in December at about 25C.586EB153-7EEF-4C5D-ABFF-E1C34D1CCE79.png