Does her shell look OK?

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I just adopted this sulcata about a week ago. The person I got it from admitted feeding it mostly produce. I've let it graze on bermuda grass and weeds, and she is very active. I've searched this forum and the Internet about her shell, but I thought I'd ask the experts here. Does her shell look OK?
Also her plastron looks weird. It looks concave except the middle (from head to tail) is flat. Is this normal? Thanks for reading and the advice. This is such a great forum!

Respectfully,
Adam

Attachments

• 20140708_152029.jpg
    20140708_152029.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 185
  • 20140708_152101.jpg
    20140708_152101.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 187
  • 20140708_152046.jpg
    20140708_152046.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 175

rearlpettway

Her shell has a bit of pyramiding but nothing to worry about. She looks healthy overall

Sent from Rodney Earl Pettway's iPad using TortForum

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Thanks for the fast response. My main concern is the plastron, which I didn't take a picture of. And also in between the scutes, it looks like it's trying to separate. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Regardless I'll be taking her in for a check up, but I'm sure some of the members here are more qualified than most vets.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I hate to bump my own thread, but I'm still wondering if Todo's shell looks OK to everybody. If there is something I can do to ensure she stays healty, I'll do it. What's the consensus on olive oil in between the scutes? Thanks in advance.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Ok, I think the shell may be getting worse. She is eating like crazy. I see her walking around eating grass and weeds. She poops regularly. She is really active! I just don't think her shell looks right. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shell looks fine. Looks like it has had a pretty dry background, but not unhealthy. We'll need to see a pic of the plastron to know what you are talking about.

Concave plastron means its a male. A shot of the anal scutes and tail could confirm this.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Thanks for the reply. Here is some pictures to show her plastron.

Attachments

• 20140723_165617.jpg
    20140723_165617.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 114
  • 20140723_165609.jpg
    20140723_165609.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 108
  • 20140723_165601.jpg
    20140723_165601.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Everything looks good and normal to me. I can't tell the sex yet. What size is this tortoise?

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
It's close to 12" and around 9-10lbs. The sizes are just estimated. The person that I got it from said that she was 8 years old.

I'm glad that you think she looks healthy, I'm trying to do my best. Thanks

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
That is a handsome sulcata you have. Grass and weed diet is perfect. Be sure there is always a water dish available for him/her to drink from. You may not see them drink, but they will use the water dish. The separation of scutes you are seeing is part of normal growth. Under too dry (as in humidity) they will look a bit more ragged than they would under perfect conditions. Some members do use olive oil sparingly along the scute lines to moisten them. Try searching for olive oil to find some threads discussing this. Some other members use a product called VitaShell for the same purpose. Personally, I have found that keeping my sulcata's night box slightly humid (he spends at least 14 hours a day in this box) will, over time take care of this dryness problem.

What is your enclosure like? Will you post some pictures?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That is a good looking tort, shell looks good, legs look good....curious, why are you going to take the tortoise to the vet? I mean, is there something wrong with it...you say it is eating, exercising and active--why the stress of a vet visit?

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Ya I wouldn't pay for a vet visit if your tort is eating and pooping and active I see no need

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think I see what's worrying you about the carapace. The new growth seems raised a bit and sort of looks like the scute is coming off. It's hard to tell from a picture, but if you pick at it with a fingernail and it seems stuck tight, then there's nothing to worry about. If you want to lubricate the growth seams with olive oil, there's no harm in it, but be sure to wipe off the excess.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Mey

5 Year Member
Haven't been on the sight for a long time. But was looking around when I found this thread. That tortie looks really good IMO. I have one that was adopted to us last year that looks similar and is around the same age. I am in the Gulf South so no problems with dry shells for our out of door torties. Grass weeds and an available water dish is what I would do and not worry about the vet. Unless you have a vet that is very experienced with torties and torties of size then it is a waste of money. Period.

I would continue with the grass grazing and maybe do a olive oil rub just for your benefit and of course the tortie's. It is relaxing. Moving homes is very traumatic to begin with so a bit of stress relief could be nice for both of you. Our old guy cried and moaned for days when he came to us five years ago. But he settled in and was very friendly afterward. The new adoptee is shy of people but likes our dogs so most probably did not have a lot of human contact where he lived before. Sulcatas are a social animal and will attach themselves to people, other animals, and things.

Sadly our old guy Nelson passed away this last winter of unknown reasons. One evening he was doing normal tortie things and talking to us and the next morning he was gone. We examined him and there were no sores and or other exterior notations to be made. We are still missing him. He was my gardening buddy and would keep me company while I weeded. He loved to be fed juicy weeds and old vegies. His roommate is still with us so we do not think it was a viral or bacterial problem either. We simply have no clue.

Good luck and enjoy your new friend's company!

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Thanks everyone, this makes me feel better. I love this forum!

I do provide clean water at all times, and soak her 2 times a week. I will go down to 1 a week when her shell looks better.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Update - Potato is still very active, walking around grazing on grass and weeds all day. I do give mazuri to her a couple of times a week. I just wanted to post a few more pictures to let the experts comment on how it looks. I did just put olive oil on her shell, then wiped it off. It was funny to see her dance when i rubbed the back of her shell.

Attachments

• 20140824_112541.jpg
    20140824_112541.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 20140824_112613.jpg
    20140824_112613.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 48
  • 20140824_112621.jpg
    20140824_112621.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 42

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Yep, the dancing when rubbing the shell is normal and pretty darn cute to watch!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! That new growth is lookin' good!!!

Because of the small gular and the backwards pointing anal scutes I'm agreeing that your new tortoise is female. The shell looks great. I wouldn't worry any more about it, as evidently what you're doing is working just fine.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
From your original pics to today's pics you can see quite a bit of growth has taken place. She looks great.