Didn't take long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
So I went to the HomeDepot and bought some petunias, marigolds and some coleus. Planted them inside my cherry's enclosure and he comes trampling out to tear **** up. He has almost eaten a whole little plant. Looks like I'm going to have to find a plant that he doesn't want to eat.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Gotta be careful of pesticides,etc. when you buy from someone else.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I suggest calling your home depot and ask them if they sprayed them with any thing

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I agree. I wouldn't give my torts plants that I just bought from a store, due to not knowing what they spray them with.

The enclosure looks really great though!!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I agree, be careful. I usually buy them from Home Depot and then I let them sit outside for a month or two before I put them in their enclosure.

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona
So should I take them back out and let them sit?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Kids! They are bottomless pits when it comes to food. :rolleyes:

I am surprised that tortoises would like Marigolds; they are such a strong-smelling flower. ;)

If it were me, I'd take everything out and let it sit outside for a month like Candy said, to let any pesticides or fertilizers wear/wash off. :p

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have been in the nursery industry for over 25 years, and let me promise you that I would not ever plant anything from any Commercial Nursery in my tortoise pens for at least 6 months. There are a number of long term systemic insecticides that are used that remain in the plant or soil for at least 6 months. Best wishes Douglas

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I just bought a load of pansies from home depot, and put them in Pio's pen outside. I'm getting it ready for warmer days. I took one plant upstairs and put it in his indoor viv, and this AM, I went to look and it's gone....right down to the ground. He loves pansies, and now is the time to get them....Spring!
Your enclosure looks great. Add some creeping jenny. It's a nice ground cover, and prevents them from messing up the plants. You could also throw in some Rose of Sharon seeds and let them sprout up. Spring mix seeds are good too, and come up pretty fast. I pull out some dandelion (get that long root up with the plant) and plant that. It will flower and throw off the seeds. Also some Itish mossfor around the water dish. That comes back every Spring and makes little white or yellow flowers. Spring Mix is the best.....Pio loves those little sprouts.
058-2.jpg

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona
If pesticides and insecticides are such huge deal what are options to plant inside his enclosure that is not to bad on the pocket book and that I don't have to wait months and months to use? Some folks have not had any problems and some have. Don't want to take risks of losing my buddy over a few dollars.

cordell

5 Year Member
I was told by The Gulf Coast Turtle and Tortoise Society that Marigolds are Toxic for our little friends. Be careful with them, the sap is said to cause a rash on them so if they eat it the results could be bad.

cordell

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona
This is why it is difficult to follow "lists" they are conflicting. I took the plants out of my enclosure and I guess I will just get plants that stay in pots such as Spider, Bromelaid, Kalachoe and Ill plant a bonsai Sago Palm they have at wal mart.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Defiant said:
If pesticides and insecticides are such huge deal what are options to plant inside his enclosure that is not to bad on the pocket book and that I don't have to wait months and months to use? Some folks have not had any problems and some have. Don't want to take risks of losing my buddy over a few dollars.

The only way to do this is to buy organic plants. They are not that expensive and won't hurt your little one. :) I see that you live in Arizona, do they have a Whole Foods store there?

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona
Tortuga_terrestre said:
Never mind the pesticides. The plant on the top left corner is poisonous! The Set up looks cool though.

That plant is Coleus and is on the "Safe List" according to http://www.africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm it is also claiming to be a "Healthier Choice" for edible landscaping. These plants I will have in the enclosure are not for dietary purposes. They are for husbandry and decor. I follow Terry's care sheet and my tort will be maintained in that aspect. Just looking to liven up the enclosure, increase humidity and provide an environment that is as "Natural" as humanly possible.

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona
It is very frustrating. Didn't know planting stuff would be so touchy. I already do the little spring mix seeds scooter tramples em down or eats em. I just wanted to add some ground cover and tall standing plants to give more hides, increase humidity and make it more appealing to my little guy to be out and about. Right now it reminds me of a barren desert (only with a moss floor). A few nice looking plants would do my enclosure justice.

S

Scooter

I work for Home Depot and I know that they do not spray anything on the plants other than water. I don't know what the vendor they come from puts on them but the store itself does not put and pesticides or fertilizers on the plants.

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona
I also work for the Home Depot. In the Garden Dept. at store #416. I was talking with the vendor of colorspot a few days ago and he was unable to tell me any information on the pesticides/insecticides that they use.

Status
Not open for further replies.