Identify this Beetle?! :)

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
I inherited three of these beetles today and my daughter's school gave me no info. (Thanks :/) I'm not sure what species he is. My daughter said a "best beetle" but I see no such thing. And the Teacher gave me a Coleus plant for it to eat.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402351493.904494.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402351501.235961.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402351512.871997.jpg

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
That's exactly what I thought too but I wonder why the Teacher said they eat PLANTS. (No wonder they were dying at school, lol)

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Actually NOo! They don't bite at all apparently. They were manhandled by a 3rd grade class and no reports of bites. I held them and they're quite adorable! They clean their antennas!

I just want to make sure I feed them properly. :)

Lemonade

5 Year Member
Great, I've been seeing these in my yard. Apparently, they are competing with my turts for food.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
They live in very moist areas, like rotting wood and impressed tortoise enclosures. Here is one walking along the bricks on the back wall of my impressed tortoise inclosure last week.Picture 003 copy 2.jpg They are harmless, I have always called them wood beetles because that is where I found them, under loose bark on dead trees laying on the ground especially. There is usually tunnels in the dead tree, so I thought they ate dead wood. They can be quite vocal, with a sound right out of a 1950's science fiction movie.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Yes I've got them in a small tank and they huddle around the forest floor bedding. They definitely like the wood chips. And yes they make a hiss sound it's neat. I didn't think they bit but one gave my daughters finger a nibble and she squealed, lol. Didn't hurt, just startled her.

Thanks for the help everyone! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks kind of like this one:

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/beetles/s_lyctus_beetle.htm

1028762jld543t69m.gif