plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

devobat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tempe, Arizona
I am building a redfoot pen and want it heavily planted to keep her cool during the warmer months.

I have a list of plants that are ok for her to eat but I was hoping to plant some ferns in her enclosure and there are none on a list of toxic plants but I know boston ferns are toxic to cats.

So do you have any plants that would be good to plant in a redfoot pen that they will not eat down to nubs?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi devobat (I don't think we've ever learned your name):

I don't have Redfoots, but in my Yellowfoot pen I have a small fig tree, an orange tree, a hardy hibiscus, a very young tulip magnolia and the whole thing is covered with clover that has grown up to be waist high.

devobat

5 Year Member
Tempe, Arizona
I am Jamie by the way. I am more active over on Turtle Forums but sometimes I need expert Tortoise advice so I turn to the "other TF" :). I have amanda Ebenhack's wonderful red/yellow foot book with a really detailed list of edible and toxic plants in it I just wondered if anyone had ideas that their torts liked to hide in, and nibble on... because I know all the other things I planted in their indoor enclosures get eaten in a few days. >.<

I have never worked with adult reds before and I am getting a rescue from MATTS(Mid-Atlantic Turtle and Tortoise Society... I think). She was taken in by a member in Ohio and she was living in a rabbit cage. Surprisingly she is very healthy and needs a home where she can be outside most of the year. So she is going on a road trip with some friends of mine from Ohio to Missouri to Arizona to be home here. I have about 2 weeks to finish planting the area I have set up for her.

The list I have so far are:
- 2 Hibiscus
- 3 Ice/Elephant food plants
- 4 Bumble Grass clumps(I have seen photos of it in people's pens)
- 2 potted peace lilies
- marigolds
I have plenty of Aloe and Prickly pear cactus to go around as well.

I see ferns in so many enclosures but I can't find the specific one in my books...

I just want to keep it heavily planted so that even when temperatures get really warm out, I can try to keep it cooler. Though she will be coming inside on really hot days.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Peace lilies (Spathiphyllum) are not particularly good in tortoise pens. They have very high oxalate content and can cause problems if eaten.

Almost any fern would work but they tend to get trampled and except for new growth, they don't seem to be terribly appetizing to torts.

One consideration that you may face is maintaining humidity levels... Sprinklers/misters may be needed to do so (and will also help moderating the temperatures).

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Hi Jamie, Ferns are not completey necessary. I have had trouble with them because my RFs usually just trample them to death. I use small variety palms that i got from lowes for $8 a piece. They stay ralatively small and they give a hint of what a natural habit for a redfoot would look like. I also have several hibiscus, rose of sharon, a lot of those palms, orange trees, and a lemon tree. These provide great shade and cooler temps. For additional shading i placed reed privacy fencing on the top of the well planted enclosure for additional shade. I have also built several humid hides stuffed with sphagnum moss; this works very well.

I built a very inexpensive sprinkler system running off a spicket from the house. It keeps the temps down on really hot days and it keeps the humidity up. I would imagine this would be a concern of yours as I know it is very dry in Az.

Here are a few pictures of the half of the enclosure that is shaded.
IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

This is what I have done and has worked for me, I am sure that you will have to make some adaptations for your enclosure compared to mine as our climates are very different. Hope this helps and good luck! :)

devobat

5 Year Member
Tempe, Arizona
Oh yes. I have several shade systems set up as well as 2 of those hose mysting systems. I also dug out several soaking areas that I lined with pond liner. I will see how the liner holds up. From what pictures I have seen of my new rescue she is always in the soaking ponds. Its always been so easy with hatchlings and juvies inside in tubs and tortoise tables. But now its on a whole new level. My mom has several of those palms she has been wanting to get rid of. I will take some of those too. I won't get the lillies.

Humidity is my biggest issue. It was 9% yesterday with a dew point of 6F. I don't think it will ever hit 6F in Phoenix! So I will be spraying down everyday and multiple times per day at least until monsoon season hits. I just need to get enough plants and good substrate to ensure it will hold the humidity for longer than just a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.