Diatomaceous Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SW Tn
As anyone every used this for your torts?? It is amazing!!! I use it for all of our mammals at the park too, not one neg. fecal in over a year. The great thing about it is that there is no way for a parasite to become resilient to it like most workers. I don't know of any vets that will say it works, although I know 3 that use it as a wormer. I think the fact that it isn't synthetic, makes it seem too good to be true.

Either way, I have used it on my WC kinixys and they have been doing great!! I did not want to use a wormer right away because I knew they were already so stressed. When I did do the first fecal they were pretty wormy, two weeks later the vet says there may be one or two, but nothing that would raise an alarm!! I use it on every feeding on all my animals and have not seen any ill effects.

If you would like to know more here is a nice link I have found.

http://www.earthworkshealth.com/How-Diatomaceous-Earth-Works.php

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I never used it for the tortoises but have used it mixed with bird seed to keep moths away and also in the nest boxes to keep bugs out. It also can be used in compost piles to keep ants out and is apparently safe for earthworms.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
I would like to hear what others say too because it seems it could hurt tortoises but im open to opinions

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I had always thought this would be a great dewormer but had never tried it. Looks like I will have to start, thanks!

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
NinjaTortoises said:
I would like to hear what others say too because it seems it could hurt tortoises but im open to opinions

I have used it in my sulcatas for 4 years and my other others for over a year.

Wondering4toolong

5 Year Member
CT, USA
It makes sense, if anyone has ever actually read up on what animals do in the wild when they have intestinal issues is seek out certain things like clay, dirt, typically toxic plants, etc... (and I'm speaking of all animals not just torti)

Thanks so much for sharing, I am interested to looking into it further!

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
safari_lass1 said:

Oh wow I've read so that it was bad hah

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
Is this the same stuff you use in a swimming pool filter?

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Not the same stuff used for pools. This is "food grade" diatomaceous earth.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
NinjaTortoises said:
Oh wow I've read so that it was bad hah

May I what you heard about it? After U first read about it being like shards of glass that cut through the exoskeleton of the parasite, I was a bit thrown off. But when my doctor advise that I take it, I did more research and found it was good :)

safari_lass1 said:
May I what you heard about it? After U first read about it being like shards of glass that cut through the exoskeleton of the parasite, I was a bit thrown off. But when my doctor advise that I take it, I did more research and found it was good :)

Sorry, I write I my phone and it always changes what I wrote.

I meant to say that "after I first read about it"

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Stuff works great for fire ants too. Keep in mind their is two kiinds. The stuff for swimming pools is not to be used as it has fiberglass in it. Organic food grade is perfect for animal use.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
safari_lass1 said:
NinjaTortoises said:

How do you use it? Delivery method/dosage? Very curious!
--Jeff

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
Holycow said:
How do you use it? Delivery method/dosage? Very curious!
--Jeff

I sprinkle it on top of the diets like I would Calcium powder. I first most all the Greens and weeds with water then mix it thoroughly after sprinkling the Ca powder and DE. I use it every meal :)

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Interesting stuff, only that we don't have any food grade available here..

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My worry with using it has always been, if it is sharp enough to cut up parasites, why is it not also cutting up the intestinal walls? I can see in larger animals this not being important, but with small walls of a tortoise, all those cuts could add up quickly to a problem.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I use it for chickens and rabbits. I put it in the chickens watering system as a dewormer. I'm not sure what you mean by "sharpness" because DE is amazing. If you stick your hand in the bag...well, take snow, multiply the softness by 10. It feels like touching a cloud, you can reach your hand in it and hardly know your touching it. I can't see how it could do damage to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.