Diatomaceous Earth?

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Hello,
I have been looking around the forum and I have a SERIOUS fly problem. They are driving me crazy! I was wondering if Diatomaceous Earth will harm my hatchling tortoise (around 6 months old)? I have seen where it has been used around tortoises before, but I was not sure how it would affect him since he is so young and small.

Thanks!

Anna

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth is wonderful stuff. Harmless to vertebrates, our tortoises included. I have not only used it around all of my reptiles, but have used it as a mild dewormer/dietary supplement for the dogs and several small lizards. (Can't remember off-hand if I have dusted tortoise food with it, probably have!)

So, in short, no. It should not present any risk/harm to your little tort. :)

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Works well in goats and humans, too. Just make sure you get the food grade. I got mine in the gardening area at the local feed store.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
As stated, you must only get food grade and NOT the stuff from hardware stores that "contains" DE. The food grade is found in most plant nurseries and in farm feed stores for pretty cheap. I took my torts out of their enclosures and cleaned them out real good. After spreading the substrate back out and placing all of the hides and plants back where I wanted them, I then put the DE in a squeeze bottle and puffed it all over until it covered everything in a fine layer. I let the torts back in and after about a week to a week and a half I went from a few thousand flys to none. Just re-apply as you see it wear off in areas, making sure you take out the torts so you don't squirt them with it. It will not hurt your torts. DE works by slicing the skin of bugs and keeping them from retaining water. The adults will die, the eggs will hatch and then those will die as well.

Jericho

My adult sulcata is being swarmed with Flys. Can I use this to help him? Can I spray it in his shelter? @Saleama

Jericho

Here is a pic of my sulcata and his enclosure

Attachments

• 1413637741695.jpg
    1413637741695.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 19
  • 1413637762722.jpg
    1413637762722.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 18

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I have a friend that is doing the CD diet to rid her family of parasites and part of the protocol is eating DE. She showed me pictures of some of the worms they have passed. So I guess if she gives it to her kids it must be good stuff. I do wonder if breathing it in might hurt my torts. Thoughts? Also should they get extra soaks when using it?

verda

5 Year Member
Texas
Will it be safe with the lizards that live in my backyard also if I use the DE?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The time that it "may" create an issue (and slight from what I have researched)....is when the material is being spread and there is dust in the air....once it lays calm, it should not create the same issue as if you inhaled large amounts of it....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Safe on lizards,verda and safe for 6 month old baby torts as I have found. If you live in a rainy climate, Each time it rains, the DE is just GONE! I've also noticed that ants will just go around it and avoid it if they can. It will kill any little bug up to a large Florida cockroach that has an exoskeleton. I got my FOOD GRADE DE from Home Depot.com in 4.4 pound bags. They only carry the food grade online. (The type at the Home Depot stores are pesticide laced.) Look at the ingredients. The food grade is like 85%DE 10% anti clumping agent and 5% moisture.....Also, it will clearly read "FOOD GRADE".