Is FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth for parasite prevention or treatment safe for torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
Hi:

Does anyone know if FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth is safe for tortoises?:tort: I know the FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth is safe for humans, horses, dogs, cats, and livestock consumption for the prevention or treatment of parasites, but I couldn't find any mention of reptiles.

Thanks for any information.

Carol :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
As far as I know, yes it is. I don't know how effective it would be though. The only danger to people and animals I've ever heard of is inhalation of the dust.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Thanks for the question. I had forgotten about all the uses of diatomaceous earth since I moved out of the country and back into the city. I used for pest control for my dogs, nubian and boar goats. As soon as I saw it, I was shaking my head..."yes.." Dust would be my only concern.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
bikerchicspain said:
What is it?
I have never heard of it before

It's a substance that is used to kill insects like bed bugs. It's like a powder insecticide.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
This is what I found, because in my mind I remember it was not an insecticide.We used to use it for flea treatment, it just dehydrated them...

INTERNAL PARASITE CONTROL: Food grade diatomaceous earth makes a very effective natural insecticide. The insecticidal quality of diatomaceous earth is due to the razor sharp edges of the diatom remains. When diatomaceous earth comes in contact with the insects, the sharp edges lacerate the bugs waxy exoskeleton and then the powdery diatomaceous earth absorbs the body fluids causing death from dehydration.

Food grade diatomaceous earth has been used for at least two decades as a natural wormer for livestock. Some believe diatomaceous earth scratches and dehydrates parasites. Some scientists believe that diatomaceous earth is a de-ionizer or de-energizer of worms or parasites. Regardless, people report definite control. To be most effective, food grade diatomaceous earth must be fed long enough to catch all newly hatching eggs or cycling of the worms through the lungs and back to the stomach. A minimum of 60 days is suggested by many, 90 days is advised for lungworms.

Food grade diatomaceous earth works in a purely physical/mechanical manner, not "chemical" and thus has no chemical toxicity. Best yet, parasites don’t build up a tolerance/immunity to its chemical reaction, so rotation of wormers is unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.