Diatomaceous Earth

MarieWhite77

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi,
I heard some people use food grade Diatomaceous Earth for their tortoises.
What exactly is it supposed to do?
Is it used around the enclosure to get rid of flies or something?
Or is it added into food to help against worms?
Is it safe?
Is there anyone in here who uses it who would be willing to share their experience please?
Thank you ??

jeannettep

Texas
I have used food grade de since the 90s. It is very important to only use food grade. I put it around my veggie plants, ant hills, I'll broad cast it all over the yard for parasites, ants, slugs, snails, flees & mosquitos, as well as other bugs. The dog picked up an internal parasite, so I made sure to dust the yard every week for a couple months. I sprinkle some in & around pet food in storage. I will remove my torts when I use it in their area or make sure not to use where they would breathe in the dust before it lands. I use it sparingly in there when I broad cast it. I had a problem with fire ants getting into their food, so I sprinkled around their food area & it takes care of it. I got mites once, so I removed the torts for a couple days, broad casted more than normal, so far they have not returned. I use it in bird aviary. I will sprinkle some on everyone's food a few times a year. I use it in the coop & nest boxes. I will rub some in the cat & dogs fur & sprinkle some in the bottom of the bird cage. It is important not to breathe it in & keep in mind it is drying to skin. In theory drying & don't breathe it I just use more caution for torts, so I make sure they get baths & foods that contain more water if they get some on their food & I try to use sparingly, when possible. It is suppose to be good for people to eat, but I haven't. I keep some in a handy powdered creamer container marked DE. Found that its a good way to directly sprinkle on something or squeeze it when horizontal to the ground if a large area. They make a hand crank machine to do the yard & my husband does that. It is the 1st thing I go to for pests or prevention. Does it kill every pest or parasite on my property, no. But it is not chemicals & so I rarely have to use chemicals on my yard & that is important for torts.

MarieWhite77

UK
Lovely, thank you so much for taking the time to share all this info and experience!
I will buy it and try it, food grade :)
Thanks ??

jeannettep

Texas
Others may chime in with concerns they know about. But fire ants are really bad here & I'd prefer de than poison.