Sulcatta

squirtal

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham
Hey folks - my Sulcatta died and I am devastated. He had a great life hanging out with my other kids, plus he my beardie and my russian were/are part of a college group that goes to children schools to showcase "care of pets" and "sustainability". All my babies are rescues...if anyone out there has a Sulcatta that needs to be rehomed, preferably under 35 lbs with a personality that will let kids love on it, feed it, etc...I just built mine an expensive, heated outdoor enclosure for the winter - when warm enough he can come and go and play with my goats. Let's talk. [email protected]. I am in Alabama... your baby will have a great life and will be a rockstar helping underprivileged kids!!Watermellon.JPGTortoise and the hare.jpegMerlin and Ben.jpegMerlin and Flanders.jpeg

LJL1982

UK
That's ever so sad. I'm sorry.

Did you find out what caused him to pass? Old age or? Looks like he had a fun life xx

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My family has been involved in turtle and tortoise rescue for over 40 years combined, I have rescued many Sulcata, rehabbed them and found forever homes for them, and I seriously mean no disrespect but for me... you mixing species is a bad thing. I am sorry about you losing that tortoise, it's a hurt that never goes away or so it seems. But after that my first response is to say he maybe ate goat droppings, or got a bacterial infection from the beardie...I would never mix species like that...but I love Alabama so you could rescue me,I like goats. Do you rescue other animals? Do you have any other torts?

Attachments

• 100_3217.JPG
    100_3217.JPG
    746 KB · Views: 1

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That's a really sucky thing, then to have to bury him too. I'm sorry. Mags knows of what she speaks, even dumb folks like me were smart enough to let her and her Sis help me with my little turtle!

I lost my Clemson after many years.....a med sulc like yours. For me and what I have learned since coming here, is that he likely died because I indulged him with fruit....a huge no no.

I know your opening pic shows him devouring the watermelon......hell yes they love it, but it's way too much moisture for them I think. Its prob covered in the care sheets, and I HIGHLY recommend you spend the time to read them, it may prevent a rerun in the future!

Good luck.......and I'm sorry for your family losing a little friend!

jeff

LJL1982

UK
My family has been involved in turtle and tortoise rescue for over 40 years combined, I have rescued many Sulcata, rehabbed them and found forever homes for them, and I seriously mean no disrespect but for me... you mixing species is a bad thing. I am sorry about you losing that tortoise, it's a hurt that never goes away or so it seems. But after that my first response is to say he maybe ate goat droppings, or got a bacterial infection from the beardie...I would never mix species like that...but I love Alabama so you could rescue me,I like goats. Do you rescue other animals? Do you have any other torts?
I agree Magz. OP posted on Facebook that the tortoise got caught in hay netting that the tort and goats shared and ate hay from and that caused his death. Very sad.

Apparently at least 10 people from here have offered to rehome their sulcatas to him which is good for OP.