Deformed small shell

Alyssa

5 Year Member
I found this tortoise on craigslist. I'm debating getting her because I feel bad, but I'm not exactly sure how to help her or how much can really be done! Thoughts? What would you do for her?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409456116.306496.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409456549.017227.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409456559.460955.jpg

The tortoise is in Vallejo CA which is a couple hours from me, so not really sure I want to make the drive. Maybe someone else here is interested in helping her? Maybe I'll repost this in the reposted section too. Lol

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
Gosh, I sure hope someone gets her/him asap. Thats so sad. Poor thing deserves a chance, And it just breaks my heart.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, the poor thing. It takes real, I mean REAL, poor care for a Russian tortoise to end up that way. If you DO get the tortoise, please try to find out specifics on how the tortoise was cared for and what it was fed. This would be very helpful to all of us to know this.

The tortoise has not been taken good care of, but that doesn't mean he can't still live a long and happy life with someone who takes good care of him. He'll never be "pretty," but he will give you hours of enjoyment.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
does anyone know if he got a home yet? poor thing ive thought of him/her several times. wish i lived closer and had the extra funds, ive never had a russian but id certainly try to do my best if i had him/her.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I know nothing about Russians and live too far, I almost would want that tortoise just for rescuing & to care for! But I wouldn't even know where to begin to be honest!!!!! So sad:(. I sure hope someone comes along with knowledge & love for that Russian!!!!!!

(r.t)

Spain
Keep her that's so sad !!!!!!! On this web you will get lots of help and advice rescue her give her a chance!!!!!!:tort:

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Poor thing. You know, other than the fact that her shell looks abnormally small, she seems to have good muscle mass and tone. And her shell is surprisingly smooth, not pyramided.

If you can't take her, don't feel bad. Rescues are very hard decisions. You really need to consider taking on an animal that could have a lot of medical issues, which could consume a lot of your time and resources. Plus, by posting her case here, you are already helping out a great deal. Maybe someone will take her.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
My understanding about rescuing tortoises with MBD is that you just try to do everything right from now on, unlike the previous keeper, by provide the proper care, habitat & diet. The shell deformity will stop getting worse. In many case the only thing we need to do differently is to be aware of issues that go along with the animal not fitting in the shell, so no hibernation, and predator proofing.

Alyssa

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. This is helpful info. I'll definitely ask about previous care anyway and let you know. We are still considering getting her, just trying to figure out how and when that would be possible.