Deformed claw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaudi

5 Year Member
Hello, this is my first post on this forum, my name is Sophie and I live in the UK. I have a 7 month old hermann tortoise called Gaudi. I have had her for around two months (I bought her from a breeder in January). She is very healthy, eats enough, is very active and has settled in well to her new home. My only concern is that on her right front leg instead of having 4 claws she only has 3, 2 of them appear to be joined. When I first got her I thought it might have just been some dirt that had stuck them together but it appears that she has a deformed claw. She does not seem at all hindered by it, she moves around normally and walks fine.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this? My only worry is that as she grows it might cause her problems. Do you think that a vet could do anything to help or is it best to just let her be?

Thank you for any suggestions.

I have tried to add a photo but I can't work out how to do it from my iPhone.

Sophie and Gaudi.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sophie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I really don't think you have anything to worry about, but if it concerns you, go see a reptile vet and get his opinion about it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and we LOVE PICS :p

I personally would not fret too much about it :D If while she grows you see it become an issue then you can handle it then, well, this is what I would do anyways :p

Sometimes the stress from the trip to the vet and all the poking and messing with is just not worth the trip, especially if there is no apparent discomfort or harm, you know?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

If it's a birth deformity then it will most likely not be an issue. Tortoises are very resilient and will do fine with abnormalities.. A vet will probably be the only one who can tell you for sure if anything can be done.

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
My tort has half of her back leg missing and she manages just fine does not stop her one bit. I wouldn't worry to much bout urs

Status
Not open for further replies.