Deformed Foot

Ellie_A

5 Year Member
Long story but my husband and I are getting a divorce. My daughter and I had to leave the house that we were living in because he was abusive. I was unable to remove my pets at the time and I just recently was able to go back and get them. I have noticed that my tortoise's foot appears to be deformed, I have no idea how she was cared for after I left but it was unfortunately beyond my control.
The foot was normal previously and doesn't appear to be infected, it doesn't smell and it feels the same as the other foot and doesn't seem to hurt her at all and she has no problems walking. Any ideas? I could take her to a vet if absolutely necessary but funds are extremely tight right now because of having to find a new home, lawyer costs and receiving no child support at all. Would really appreciate some input before I spend money that I don't have.

20170606_153753.jpg 20170606_153759.jpg 20170606_153814.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry to hear about what has been going on in your life. Good luck to you and your daughter thru all this and after.
As for the tortoise foot. The front left as I'm looking at your tort looks like it might have been chewed on a bit. Is, was there a dog that could have chewed on it? If it doesn't bother her and if it is all closed up, I would just keep an eye on it. If it is opened at all, clean it out and put some antibiotic cream on it and keep her off of dirt or coir so it stays clean and don't let her outside until it's healed. If it starts looking bad or infected thrn I would make a vet visit.
Good luck in all you have to do and with the tort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Another look and it could have been caught in something, like a toe nail caught or stepped on or shut in something.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like the foot has died and come off. Maybe from being chewed (dog, rat, oppossum, etc) or maybe a hair got wrapped around the ankle and the foot died. If it's all healed now, there's nothing much a vet can do for it except maybe debride and clean it up.

KassidySharp

5 Year Member
Toronto Ontario
Poor baby, all the best to the tortoise as well as you and your daughter. Thankfully the foot does not look infected so no immediate attention should be needed. Maybe once things settle and money isn't so tight get it looked at by a vet just so you can get some answers. Give him endless love and comfort :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Good luck with your tortoise and all the best for your future!
If one of your other pets was (is) a dog, that may very well be the culprit.
Thanks for coming here and caring for your tortoise.