Dales new hide Clay or plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
In Dales new enclosure I put a clay pot for his hide, but it could be bigger (although he loves it). Yesterday I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and found a hard plastic bucket and thought that this would be a good hide because a lot of you have suggested plastic to keep the humidity in better. Now I need your opinions on which would be better....a bigger clay pot or the plastic bucket idea? I like the idea of the clay pot because it is natural and the plastic might give off toxins if the heat emitter is going to sit right over it. What do you think?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Candy said:
In Dales new enclosure I put a clay pot for his hide, but it could be bigger (although he loves it). Yesterday I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and found a hard plastic bucket and thought that this would be a good hide because a lot of you have suggested plastic to keep the humidity in better. Now I need your opinions on which would be better....a bigger clay pot or the plastic bucket idea? I like the idea of the clay pot because it is natural and the plastic might give off toxins if the heat emitter is going to sit right over it. What do you think?

Candy you can saturate the [ unglazed ] clay pot and it will retain/absorb the water. Fluff-up the Mosser Lee ( full ) so he will 'burrow' into it when misted just past dry. ( hope that makes sense ) An ambient "humid-hide" has been created.

NERD

Watch the grin on Dale's face!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I personally like the clay pot. You can soak it before you put it in the enclosure, and since it's porous it might help with the humidity. I would be afraid to put anything plastic under the heat emitter.
Look at all these hides that Tom (turtletails) makes for his boxies. You could do something like these only bigger for Dale.

http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingbabyturtles2/tour17.htm

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow you guys are fast. I'm so glad to have two Redfoot owners already reply to me. Clay does sound better to me and I forgot it does take water in. Thanks. :) And Terry (nerd) you're right Dale just ate his fruit and then went and got into his water all by himself. ;) I guess he doesn't need me to do it for him.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Candy said:
Wow you guys are fast. I'm so glad to have two Redfoot owners already reply to me. Clay does sound better to me and I forgot it does take water in. Thanks. :) And Terry (nerd) you're right Dale just ate his fruit and then went and got into his water all by himself. ;) I guess he doesn't need me to do it for him.

Candy..... wouldn't have said it if I hadn't seen them do it consistently. Make their needs available.. and they'll do what's best for themselves; they really don't need our help. Watch Dale and see how often he poops in his waterdish.. on his own.

NERD

terryo said:
I guess I posted the same time you did Terry K. Sorry.

Nothing to be sorry for.. just showed we are on the same page Terryo. And you've shown how Pio has responded!

Terry K

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Wow, I never realized how cute turtles are. That web site also has some of the cutest hides! One can never have too many good ideas...;)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
terryo said:
I personally like the clay pot. You can soak it before you put it in the enclosure, and since it's porous it might help with the humidity. I would be afraid to put anything plastic under the heat emitter.
Look at all these hides that Tom (turtletails) makes for his boxies. You could do something like these only bigger for Dale.

http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingbabyturtles2/tour17.htm

Terry there are a lot of hides on that website. While you guys were writing back I went over to Home Depot and picked Dale up a 12 inch clay pot. Haven't put it in his enclosure yet because they didn't have any moss there so tomorrow when my husband gets off of work I have asked him to stop by lowe's and get me some. Thanks everybody.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The only down side is that there ia an abrasive aspect to clay that does not exist with plastic. Just my thoughts. Clay certainly does have the ability to add humidity used properly.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
elegans said:
The only down side is that there ia an abrasive aspect to clay that does not exist with plastic. Just my thoughts. Clay certainly does have the ability to add humidity used properly.

Why would that be a problem?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I've got to admit he's loving it. The clay pot I mean. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.