Air Dry Clay?

Lion6179

Location (City and/or State)
OR
My Redfoot, Fuego, is starting to get bigger and has unfortunately gotten some pyramiding a few months ago. He’s getting too big for his hide now. I’ve placed the hide some slate stones for him to give some extra space but he loves to climb on it for basking! I love that he climbs but it’s difficult to find hides that are good for basking but also big enough for him to get into.

I’ve decided to just make him a brand new clay hide that he can also climb on but I need to get clay first. I remember using Air Dry clay as a kid so I’m wondering if I could use that for this? Will it crack under heat? How will water affect it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Red foot tortoises shouldn't have a asking area. That is why he is pyramiding.

They need a high humidity closed chamber enclosure with relatively dry substrate and warm temps that are maintained with ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels controlled by a thermostat.

I don't know about the clay.

Sounds like you have gotten the usual bad pet store info. Check this out:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
And besides, they don't use a hide to bask. A hide has a top to it, the uvb wouldn't go thru a hide

Lion6179

OR
Well I’ve moved the hide around multiple times and he always climbs it. He climbs everything all the time. I also have moved his heat emitter around and he tends to hang out under it a lot. It’s not a heat issue I know that, even when he had a heat mat during the snow-pocalypse of the PNW he always went to his heat emitter

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Well I’ve moved the hide around multiple times and he always climbs it. He climbs everything all the time. I also have moved his heat emitter around and he tends to hang out under it a lot. It’s not a heat issue I know that, even when he had a heat mat during the snow-pocalypse of the PNW he always went to his heat emitter
That is indeed an indication that the temperature is too low. But that isn't necessarily proof. There could be other factors.
Redfoot spend the majority of the daytime hiding in the shade. Not climbing on things.
How are you measuring your temperature? What is the temperature? What type of substrate are you using?
Can you photograph your enclosure and the lighting and heating?
Are you using a closed chamber enclosure?
How are you providing humidity? What is the level?
Lack of humidity is what causes pyramiding. And it is often an indication of other possible issues that need to be corrected.
Let's get them sorted out

Lion6179

OR
That is indeed an indication that the temperature is too low. But that isn't necessarily proof. There could be other factors.
Redfoot spend the majority of the daytime hiding in the shade. Not climbing on things.
How are you measuring your temperature? What is the temperature? What type of substrate are you using?
Can you photograph your enclosure and the lighting and heating?
Are you using a closed chamber enclosure?
How are you providing humidity? What is the level?
Lack of humidity is what causes pyramiding. And it is often an indication of other possible issues that need to be corrected.
Let's get them sorted out
I have two thermostats in the enclosure, one directly under the heat lamps to measure their heat output and one on a shaded side of his enclosure with no lighting. His enclosure ranges from 80°-100°, I know that’s too high and I’m working on lowering the temperature.

I use ecoearth for my little guy and I spray it regularly with a mister but I also have a some drenched moss in a plastic container with holes in it, little trick for humidity I learned when I had tree frogs!

The enclosure is mostly wood with part of the top being mesh and the other part being completed covered. I’m not home so I can’t provide a photo:(

His pyramiding was caused by a humidity issue a while back when I wasn’t home as much but now with the moss his humidity back under control!

He tends to bounce between shade and heat? He has his little routine and now I have a timer to turn on his light at around 7:30am and turn them off at around 9pm. Plus his enclosure has the one side that’s completely covered with no light, just shade. But even then he always comes out to sit under his light?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So. He can't get to the moss? That's good. Because he'll eat it. And he'll get sick.
A closed chamber works in this same way:
Generally they're made of glass or some sort of plastic. The top is totally or almost completely closed off. The lights and heating are mounted INSIDE of it.
We use Orchid Bark or Coco coir as substrate. It is obsorbent and not prone to grow mold. Water is poured into the corners of the substrate. (The amount can be raised until you find what works for you)
The bark absorbs the water. But leaves the top layer dryer (not totally wet) And the water gives off humidity as it evaporates.
Spraying is futile. And misting systems are just an unnecessary complexity.
Some keepers use converted, small indoor greenhouses. Some make extravagant glass enclosures with sliding doors. While others utilize huge, plastic storage totes made for storing Christmas trees.
Wood will just keep being an issue. I think that right now it's your largest obstacle. And I don't want to encourage you to spend money on top of money to try to make your current enclosure work.
I don't think it's money well spent. And I believe its also a waste of time.
The best case scenario is to create the largest and best CLOSED CHAMBER ENCLOSURE that you can and move him into it as soon as it is ready. And see if an outdoors area is an option for the warmer months.

Lion6179

OR
I actually started designing his new enclosure last week! It’ll be twice as large and have plenty of open space for him to walk around. Switching the mesh out for something else, not sure what yet but I’ll be coming back for ideas later on.