Plastic or Clay Terracotta Saucers?

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
The countdown for my AP cage has begun and I am expecting it to arrive next month. My little fatty has outgrown his current 6in terracotta saucers for food and water so I am looking to order a 12in version. My current saucers are plastic and I am now wondering do these offer a surface hard enough to help keep his beak in check? Is clay better? Any opinions more than welcome!!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
The countdown for my AP cage has begun and I am expecting it to arrive next month. My little fatty has outgrown his current 6in terracotta saucers for food and water so I am looking to order a 12in version. My current saucers are plastic and I am now wondering do these offer a surface hard enough to help keep his beak in check? Is clay better? Any opinions more than welcome!!
I have tried both, in my opinion I like the clay ones better. When my tortoise would go into the water, seems like he got better traction on the clay one. I know it has not arrived yet, but congrats on your new enclosure.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Agree with Jay. Ive only used the terracotta ones. I feel they are more stable, provide a real surface as opposed to plastic, heavier so even when empty don’t tip over.

Instead of ordering...why not visit Walmarts garden section, or HD or Lowes?. Our local one here has all sizes and you can compare contrast. Of course online ordering is so covenient these days.

Good luck with your AP enclosure!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use both and the clay is easier too clean and don't get as much gunk build up as a plastic one will. Try to find one that is glazed. They clean even easier and most of the ones that aren't glazed the water seeps through them. You can put flat rocks in the bottom of it to help little ones get out if needed.

Wolfpackin

Colorado
I worry a little about using glazed containers for food and water.
Many glazings, especially from china, contain lead.
Not good for ingestion, though I can't say for sure how much leeches out of that glazing.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I use the terracota saucer. You can get a 12" one at Wal-Mart for $3

EdMurphy

Minnesota
I use the terracota. it leaked a lot so I rubbed some Minwax paste wax on the on the underside of the dish and it doesn't leak now.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

I use both...indoors and outdoors....I have found it completely depends on the tort and if the tort is bulldozer or a delicate butterfly when moving about....I have both here among the species here.....

daniellenc

Maryland
He’s a dozer. I rearrange my current cage daily. Hoping the bigger cage helps.