Cuttlebone Question

buglady

Location (City and/or State)
Pemba
I live in Mozambique and don't have vets or store-brought cuttlebone readily available. We sometimes find large cuttlebones on the beach. Can I feed my tortoises cuttlebone from the beach? Is there some way I need to clean it first? Also, are there any other alternatives for culttlebone that might be easier to find?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I live in Mozambique and don't have vets or store-brought cuttlebone readily available. We sometimes find large cuttlebones on the beach. Can I feed my tortoises cuttlebone from the beach? Is there some way I need to clean it first? Also, are there any other alternatives for culttlebone that might be easier to find?

Greetings. You can definitely feed cuttlebones that you find on the beach. No real cleaning needed, maybe just a good rinse in fresh clean water to get any other dirt/debris/sand off, but they are usually ready to offer as is.

Good luck

xMario

Germany
Eggshells also work[emoji106]