Status
Not open for further replies.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Just a little background first! Samson is an 8-9 month old Sulcata. I feed him spring mix daily (with additional lettuces/greens) topped off with chopped dried grasses. His outside enclosure is full of grazing grasses/weeds/flowers... I don't think he eats too much when he is outside rather he just nibbles here and there! He gets Mazuri 1-2 times a week and occasionaly some squash or zucchini or carrot. Now for my questions:

1) If Samson is regulary eating on his cuttlebone do I still need to add calcium to his food?

2) If I sprinkle TNT on his food 2-3 times a week do I still need to add calcium?

3) If I use TNT do I still need to add herptivite?

4) If I use TNT does he even need a cuttlebone?

5) Basically what, if any, supplements does he need?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I think if they are outside, gettting a varied diet, they don't need supplements. But I'm not sure about sulcatas.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Being outside with good sun exposure and a good diet, they really don't need a lot of supplements. Through in a cuttlebone and that's it. If they want some more calcium, they have the cuttlebone to chew on if they see fit.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
TNT is grasses and weeds ground up into powder. Thats all it is. Nothing else is added (unless you opt for probiotics). No calcium or other vitamins or minerals are added to TNT. So no, TNT does not replace calcium or any vitamin supplmentation and should not be confused with vitamin supplementation. TNT was designed to add variety to the diets of indoor torts who do not get regular grasses and weeds because they live indoors. TNT is not necessary for animals who have access to a good variety of fresh grasses and weeds. (However, since TNT contains only grasses and weeds, its not harmeful to add TNT to any diet).

As already mentioned, vitamin supplementation is not needed if you're feeding your tort a good variety of food. Nonetheless, I still supplement my hatchlings' diet with calcium twice a week just make sure they're getting plenty of it.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
hunterk997 said:
I think if they are outside, gettting a varied diet, they don't need supplements. But I'm not sure about sulcatas.

Thank you very much!

wellington said:
Being outside with good sun exposure and a good diet, they really don't need a lot of supplements. Through in a cuttlebone and that's it. If they want some more calcium, they have the cuttlebone to chew on if they see fit.

Thank you very much!

mctlong said:
TNT is grasses and weeds ground up into powder. Thats all it is. Nothing else is added (unless you opt for probiotics). No calcium or other vitamins or minerals are added to TNT. So no, TNT does not replace calcium or any vitamin supplmentation and should not be confused with vitamin supplementation. TNT was designed to add variety to the diets of indoor torts who do not get regular grasses and weeds because they live indoors. TNT is not necessary for animals who have access to a good variety of fresh grasses and weeds. (However, since TNT contains only grasses and weeds, its not harmeful to add TNT to any diet).

As already mentioned, vitamin supplementation is not needed if you're feeding your tort a good variety of food. Nonetheless, I still supplement my hatchlings' diet with calcium twice a week just make sure they're getting plenty of it.

Thanks for your advice, very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.