Cuttlebone question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tagreltracy

5 Year Member
I thought I would buy Pip a cuttlebone because he doesnt eat her food on the slate tile I put it on, she drags it off of it and then eats it. I thought the cuttlebone would help keep her beak nice and short.

I put the cuttlebone in there a few minutes ago and she is going crazy with it, she loves it and is chomping away on it.

My question is....can they over do it on the cuttlebone?

Spn785

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
Sometimes yes they can, but as long as you soak her often enough, there shouldn't be a problem, just don't give her a cuttlebone everyday. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along shortly.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I had one in my RFs viv which I could see he had been using but I'd also like to know off the more experienced tort owners what they think....

tortallyinsane11

5 Year Member
When I first put the cuttlebone in the habitats both my Sulcatas and my Russian chomped all over them for the first day or two. Then they walked away from it for a while and went back to them much later. I replace them when they disappear or get grossly dirty. They haven't really swarmed them since the first time though. Some one told me that you could periodically throw clean egg shells in for them too. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Twice I have given my leopard tortoise some egg shells. They were not from store bought eggs. A friend of mine has free range chickens in her backyard and I used those shells. I supply Cuttle bone in every enclosure all the time. They take from it when they need to and I don't worry about it.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Sounds normal and healthy - and sounds like your tortoise needed the calcium! I offer cuttlebone, but except for new rescues (who will often eat the whole thing down to half it's size within a day or so), mine rarely touch it. Still good to have - and I bet when my females are gravid, they will take some chomps out of it!

tagreltracy said:
I thought I would buy Pip a cuttlebone because he doesnt eat her food on the slate tile I put it on, she drags it off of it and then eats it. I thought the cuttlebone would help keep her beak nice and short.

I put the cuttlebone in there a few minutes ago and she is going crazy with it, she loves it and is chomping away on it.

My question is....can they over do it on the cuttlebone?

Status
Not open for further replies.