"Cupcake"

Scubaroo

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
The cat pays no attention to her. Sometimes CupCake will walk up to the cat, & cat just gets up and goes someplace else.
Interesting, I was real worried the cat trying to get him at first. But the tortoise smell or something doesn't register for her to want to hunt I guess.

Alaskamike

South Florida
So ....
about 10 days ago I weighed CupCake & she was 17 lbs. today I weighed her again & it came out 18.6 lbs.

She couldn't gain 1.6 lbs in 10 days. So what's up ?

Well , I hold her , step on digital scale , then do my weight w/o her & subtract. Might be a bad method , or scales are bad.

I'll try again soon.

Kittivan

Chicago
What an awesome thread! I just got a 6 month old Aldabra as well. Looking to start a thread like this to document our progress too. What a stunning Aldabra Cupcake is. Beautiful bowling ball smooth shell!

ben awes

5 Year Member
Mike, In my experience a tortoise that size can easily very by several pounds from week to week. At least a couple pounds of Cupcakes overall weight is poop maybe more! Uncle Bri can vary in weight by many pounds depending on if I weigh him before or after he has recently pooped.

One time I weighed him before and after a bath and he had gained close to 2 pounds in the bath! He drank that much water! I still actually can't quite believe that.

Uncle Bri is 60 lbs now and he can vary 5 pounds week to week.

Cupcake looks great!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Mike, In my experience a tortoise that size can easily very by several pounds from week to week. At least a couple pounds of Cupcakes overall weight is poop maybe more! Uncle Bri can vary in weight by many pounds depending on if I weigh him before or after he has recently pooped.

One time I weighed him before and after a bath and he had gained close to 2 pounds in the bath! He drank that much water! I still actually can't quite believe that.

Uncle Bri is 60 lbs now and he can vary 5 pounds week to week.

Cupcake looks great!
Thanks Ben. I guess I didn't factor in the poop variable. :)

You would think I would've thought of that. I just never weigh her that close together.

I've been more concentrated in her overall health & activity level than her gains. She is my princess & gets allot of attention ( course could be a prince, who knows ).

Made a grazing area in my side yard. Full of weeds & grass. Now she spends much of her day there grazing & exploring. She needed more room.
Eventually , probably in 2 years or so , I'll have to rehome my 50+ lb Sulcata and give her the entire back yard - about a 1/4 acre fenced in.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Well. I am getting ready as I can for Hurricane Irma. My torts are safe. The Sulcata's will hide in their caves. And both tunnels are in areas that water should drain away from. We will see. CupCake has a safe heavy box to ride out the storm in in my deck.

I've got to get most stuff off my lanai so it won't fly into my sliders.

My dogs & cats will be inside.

So will my leopard tortoise.

I might put CupCake in a bathtub :)

The aftermath of this storm on Florida will be impressive - no doubt. I know there are many keepers here in South Florida. I hope for great luck & safety for each of you. We have to be safe , but so do our precious animals.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Well. I am getting ready as I can for Hurricane Irma. My torts are safe. The Sulcata's will hide in their caves. And both tunnels are in areas that water should drain away from. We will see. CupCake has a safe heavy box to ride out the storm in in my deck.

I've got to get most stuff off my lanai so it won't fly into my sliders.

My dogs & cats will be inside.

So will my leopard tortoise.

I might put CupCake in a bathtub :)

The aftermath of this storm on Florida will be impressive - no doubt. I know there are many keepers here in South Florida. I hope for great luck & safety for each of you. We have to be safe , but so do our precious animals.
Best of luck to you and all the animals in getting through the storm. We'll be keeping you in our thoughts here in the Midwest! :<3:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Got thru Irma just fine. 9 days without power, food spoiled, screens gone from lanai, still no TV or internet but all torts good !
Hope that's last one for us for a long time.

CupCake is great !
Glad to hear you and Cupcake are doing well! :)

ben awes

5 Year Member
Good to hear the update Mike and that everyone made it through ok in your clan. I hope the cleanup and rebuild go well.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Well - here it is the 1st of October & I still have no TV or Internet. Comcast !
Haven't had it since 2 days before Irma, on 7 Sep.