Could it be pneumonia?

baker27

5 Year Member
Gus my 6 yr old Greek sounds raspy. I took the opportunity the other day while soaking him to completely clean out his indoor enclosure. I replaced his substrate ( organic top soil/ Eco earth/ cypress mulch) cleaned all the rocks and his hide. He has been eating like a champ. But just stopped suddenly. Still very active not lethargic at all. He sounds raspy but not all the time. When I heard him doing this before I picked him up and it stopped. Almost like it scared him and cleared his throat. No bubbles from his nose, mouth and eyes look ok. No open mouth breathing. Temps: basking is 95-98, over all I raised the rest to about 85, his hide is about 83 right now. Humidity is 50%. I always soaked him everyday. Any tips? Going to call vet tomorrow just to be safe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
So you're saying he's still active, just not eating? Give it a couple days. Maybe he's full.

baker27

5 Year Member
So you're saying he's still active, just not eating? Give it a couple days. Maybe he's full.
It's been about 5 days of no eating but the raspy sound concerns me. Not the normal grunts and hisses he makes.