red foot breathing faster

Christie

Location (City and/or State)
Western North Carolina
We have a baby redfoot, right at 4 inches. We have finally got his setup to have just right temps and humidity, praise God, that was stressful. Now I've noticed him breathing faster than normal. By breathing faster I mean his throat is bellowing faster than it was before. No wheezing or raspy sounds. Is it normal? Thought I'd ask from some experienced folks. Thanks

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Any new, strong smells? My guys usually do the throat pumping more dramatically if I check on them after drinking coffee, if I just ate something strange to them, or if I bring them strong smelling foods (tuna, eggs, etc). It happens frequently (they're very curious!) but the heavy breathing lasts a minute or so, then they go about their business.

Christie

Western North Carolina
That could be it. We have sections of pine board (not treated by the way) on his tank now to keep in the heat and humidity. It's a smell he's not used too. Thanks

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I know that pine wood shavings and bedding is toxic due to the oils, but reading some older threads about this issue, it appears that pine can be used as a building material since the wood is dried out.

If the wood is untreated and it is being subjected to constant humidity, it might be giving off some smell your tortoise is picking up on. I would use a sealant or cover the bottom that is exposed to the humidity with a shower curtain to prevent any fungal growth.