Pneumonia roadblock

avasims

Location (City and/or State)
rogers minnesota
Hello tortoise forums. Peaches, my golden greek male tortoise has been experiencing strange symptoms since a year and a half ago. Symptoms include (not all are present currently): Throwing up, opening of the mouth and sticking out tongue while batting his arms has his mouth, excessive shedding (this ended but was pretty severe at one point), loss of appetite, lethargy, noisy-ish breathing, teary eyes, and severe constipation…. The vet has finally settled on the diagnosis being pneumonia which i agree with since I believe most of his symptoms lead to another appearing. But long story short, I don’t know how to get him better. Right now, the set up isn’t ideal. The tank is like 40 gallons and his bedding is reptibark. Currently he has a towel and a lil blanket for comfort in there but it hasn’t always been like that. Temps are high 80s and usually he sleeps on his heating pad at night being at around 85ish aswell. Humidity is high at the moment do to the pneumonia. I have him on antibiotics (cefazidime, 0.13 ml per 72hr) and sometime Metoclopramide for the constipation. This medicine has been prescribed a few different times, he’ll take the course of antibiotics and be fine for like a month, but then get sick again. This makes me think a few things; either the medicine needs to be taken longer to kill off all that bacteria, something in his environment is causing him to get sick again, or the medication isn’t working well enough. Usually, this medication completely relieves peaches of constipation and throwing up etc. But, as of right now, peaches is currently taking another course of ceftazidime and it seems some of the symptoms are still there even on the medication. What do you guys think I should do? Start a different medication, stay on the same medication, make changes to his environment? I’m at a loss. I will post a pick of the current enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_6320.jpeg
    IMG_6320.jpeg
    944.3 KB · Views: 1

avasims

Location (City and/or State)
rogers minnesota
Hello tortoise forums. Peaches, my golden greek male tortoise has been experiencing strange symptoms since a year and a half ago. Symptoms include (not all are present currently): Throwing up, opening of the mouth and sticking out tongue while batting his arms has his mouth, excessive shedding (this ended but was pretty severe at one point), loss of appetite, lethargy, noisy-ish breathing, teary eyes, and severe constipation…. The vet has finally settled on the diagnosis being pneumonia which i agree with since I believe most of his symptoms lead to another appearing. But long story short, I don’t know how to get him better. Right now, the set up isn’t ideal. The tank is like 40 gallons and his bedding is reptibark. Currently he has a towel and a lil blanket for comfort in there but it hasn’t always been like that. Temps are high 80s and usually he sleeps on his heating pad at night being at around 85ish aswell. Humidity is high at the moment do to the pneumonia. I have him on antibiotics (cefazidime, 0.13 ml per 72hr) and sometime Metoclopramide for the constipation. This medicine has been prescribed a few different times, he’ll take the course of antibiotics and be fine for like a month, but then get sick again. This makes me think a few things; either the medicine needs to be taken longer to kill off all that bacteria, something in his environment is causing him to get sick again, or the medication isn’t working well enough. Usually, this medication completely relieves peaches of constipation and throwing up etc. But, as of right now, peaches is currently taking another course of ceftazidime and it seems some of the symptoms are still there even on the medication. What do you guys think I should do? Start a different medication, stay on the same medication, make changes to his environment? I’m at a loss. I will post a pick of the current enclosure.
Also, i’d like to add x-ray photos as well as records for this case.

Attachments

• IMG_6285.jpeg
    IMG_6285.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6284.jpeg
    IMG_6284.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 1