Sneezing but not sneezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melly_87

5 Year Member
My Russian tort has been sneezing, I think. It isn't often, but a few times I've heard him make that kind of sound. Well, it's more like him blowing air out of his nose and then his head goes into his shell, but I haven't seen any bubbles. I'm not sure if this is just a thing or if he has a respiratory problem. His nose and eyes look fine, he's eating regularly, I give him warm soaks every day, the temperatures are constant... Can someone please help?

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Is your tortoise fairly new?
I'm asking because they sometimes do this when they are scared or shy. One of mine pulls her head in while hissing if I don't approach her really slowly as she is very timid.

melly_87

5 Year Member
Yes, I've had him for a week and a half. It does sound like he's kind of hissing, but it happens when I'm walking away or not looking. I'll try to leave him alone for a bit so I don't stress him out, perhaps?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
What kind of substrate are you using? I've read that sometimes sneezing is simply caused by the tortoise trying to expell minerals that are in their nose, sort of like when a human has a nose itch, it might cause a sneeze.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

melly_87

5 Year Member
I use loose coconut substrate. One of my friends did tell me that that stuff would get into her tort's eyes, too, so she changed it. Could that just be the problem and nothing too serious? Should I change substrates?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
melly_87 said:
I use loose coconut substrate. One of my friends did tell me that that stuff would get into her tort's eyes, too, so she changed it. Could that just be the problem and nothing too serious? Should I change substrates?

My tortoise has the same problem, sneezing, substrate in the eyes. I would say whatever you feel is best. Some tortoises do fine in substrates that others wouldn't. It depends on the tortoise.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
That hissing sound I think you are hearing is the sound of the air leaving their lungs as they retract into their shell.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I think you should post a picture of your enclosure.

What are your temperatures and humidity.

Make sure you're adding moisture to your substrate.

Good luck. The air expelling from retracting the head rapidly can sound like a hiss or a sneeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.