Greek Tortoise Sneezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island New York
Hello My name is Kevin Regan and I have a Greek Tortoise named Oogway. About one week ago I noticed Oogway wheezing and then later I witnessed him sneeze multiple times in succession. Over the following two days after I paid closer attention and discovered that he would have these sneezing fits right after being awoken; however after 5 minutes they would subside, he would then show signs of energy and what I mean by this is he would climb and try to escape his enclosure, he would eat, and then after a while longer he would go back to sleep. I joined Tortoise forum and read that Greek tortoise like Oogway suffer from Upper Respiratory Infections and if not dealt with could be fatal. After reading all I could on the topic I went out bought him an additional infrared heat lamp, have been bathing him daily and been spraying his shell and enclosure to keep the moisture up. Since I have made these changes I have not seen him sneeze as much if any at all and I am wondering If these Changes could have helped him recover or am I in denile? Also any additional advice or If anyone could ID my specific subspecies I would appreciate it, Thank you

Attachments

• S1090012.JPG
    S1090012.JPG
    457.7 KB · Views: 44
  • oogway bottom.JPG
    oogway bottom.JPG
    311 KB · Views: 37
  • oogway side.JPG
    oogway side.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 41

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know alot about your species. However it could have been to dry for him especially if you are using any type of hay for his substrate. If everything seems fine with him, appetite, energy, etc. Then I would say you fixed his problem. Just keep an eye on him for a couple weeks to make sure there is no changes from good to bad. Also giving you a bump for more advice.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Long Island New York
wellington said:
I don't know alot about your species. However it could have been to dry for him especially if you are using any type of hay for his substrate. If everything seems fine with him, appetite, energy, etc. Then I would say you fixed his problem. Just keep an eye on him for a couple weeks to make sure there is no changes from good to bad. Also giving you a bump for more advice.

Thank you I have cypress mulch for his substrate and energy is a little low since I upgraded him to a larger enclosure however he has been eating and when I bath him daily he poops so all in all I am hopeful =/

Status
Not open for further replies.