Contemplating increasing RF numbers

Lu_x85

Hi all,

I got my little Aristotle back in August and we think he is approximately 6 months old. We have now come across some hatchlings not much younger than him. My love of RF's just grows everyday and I'd love to have more than one but have a few questions:

1) Is it the right time to make introductions while they are young rather than when he is older?

2) my other half has said I can get him a friend but I suspect it's best to have 3 rather than a pair... is a pair a terrible idea?

I would obviously quarantine any new tort/s.

Thank you :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
After quarantine, if they're all close in size, I think it would be ok to put them together. More than two is always better. Two usually have to have the dominance/subordinate discussion. It doesn't work that way when they are three.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have a 20wk old in with some 2 wk olds and a 7wk old. I've not seen any bullying yet. Although my 7wk old seems to want to eat whatever the 20wk old is eating at times. Not seen any biting or ramming or stare offs yet.

Lu_x85

I have a 20wk old in with some 2 wk olds and a 7wk old. I've not seen any bullying yet. Although my 7wk old seems to want to eat whatever the 20wk old is eating at times. Not seen any biting or ramming or stare offs yet.

Is it best to do introductions when they're younger? Your 7 week old sounds very sweet, like he wants to be like the older one!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Is it best to do introductions when they're younger? Your 7 week old sounds very sweet, like he wants to be like the older one!
From what I've read, it's just a gamble, some people put them together and will have a pair of torts within a group that just won't get on, I've not had that problem YET. Best thing to do is when you do put them together, re-arrange the new habitat so nobody is familiar with the surrounds. There all on an even Kiel that way(other than size).

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Should have said, I was talking adults.
IMO as long as there's enough space and hides you should be ok with babies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
If you're getting more, 3+ is best.
Two is a gamble if they don't get along. Keep in mind interactions could change over time as they reach sexual maturity.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you're getting more, 3+ is best.
Two is a gamble if they don't get along. Keep in mind interactions could change over time as they reach sexual maturity.
True. later as they mature, if you end up with more than one male, you'll be adding more females to the herd.
My lucky number has been three females for every male.
Hopefully by then you'll have a big outdoors enclosure.
Baby Redfoot don't often fight and they bully less than most species. (while jouveniles)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
May as well just go for an even 6. That's a nice, round even number. then you can have 2 groups of 3 musketeers!
It seems as if most of us at some point wound up with a few too many tortoises!!;)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So the general consensus is I need to persuade my other half to let me get two more RF's lol. I did fall in love with two little ones today!
Lu, you need to be thinking about 2yrs down the track. Too many people in this country(and probably others) buy tiny cute torts and stick them in a vivarium thinking that's it, when your tort(s) are hitting 2 yrs old at the most, they will be to big for a viv that fits nice and neat in your living room. You need to be think when they are bigger of a 6x8ft minimum space, I'll probably get shot for saying so small, but it's doable for a Treo as long as there is outdoor space too for fine weather.
So realistically you need to be already thinking that if you have 3 adult redfoots(a nice manageable group) something like an insulated heated shed of idealy 8x10ft (6x8ft maybe)will suffice with an outdoor area too. I reckon this can be done for under a grand. Not lecturing you, just friendly advice.