Cons of Keeping "True" Pardalis and Babcocki Together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I was wondering what are the cons of keeping both species of hatchling Leopard Tortoises together? I did some research and didn't find the answering I'd be hoping for, but I've seen a few people keep them in the same enclosure. If anyone can provide some answers it'd be greatly appreciate.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Probably the most concerning issue would be the size difference which may result in a dominence and stress issue between the two tortoises. A pardalis leopard will likely grow faster than the babcocki leopard and would likely be the dominant one.

Another issue that this brings up is the possibility of the two breeding together. Personally, I would not like to see a true pardalis bred with a babcocki. The true pardalis are significantly more rare than the babcocki type, and should be preserved if at all possible. This, of course, is a matter of opinion.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Neal said:
Probably the most concerning issue would be the size difference which may result in a dominence and stress issue between the two tortoises. A pardalis leopard will likely grow faster than the babcocki leopard and would likely be the dominant one.

Another issue that this brings up is the possibility of the two breeding together. Personally, I would not like to see a true pardalis bred with a babcocki. The true pardalis are significantly more rare than the babcocki type, and should be preserved if at all possible. This, of course, is a matter of opinion.

I agree 100%

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That makes three. I agree too.

In my experience they have very different personalities. Gpp will run roughshod over Gpb. My 3year old Gpp are more bullish than any three year old sulcata, DT, or any other species I've ever raised.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Raising hatchlings together would result in the dominance issues that would only increase the babcocki not getting the food and resources needed to grow up big and strong.
As far as the inbreeding issues, I feel if we can, keep them clean. This is just logical, though not part of your original question.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
I appreciate all of the comments, especially from the veterans here on TFO. I felt the need to ask for reassurance and I got the answers I was looking for. Looks like I'm going to build another closed chamber. :p As for breeding I have no plans for the future for the two different species to mate. I want to keep the "true" Pardalis Pardalis line as genuine as they come. Thanks again for all the insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.